Premed 101 Forums

*Order of Interview Invitations

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*terry

Date:***2/23/2001 9:03 am*PST

Ian, you mentioned in another thread that UBC interviews applicants with higher MCATs and GPAs first. Did you get this info straight from the adcoms?

To me it doesn't seem fair because interviewers might subconciously hold this against the people they interview, knowing that the later they come in the weaker they are in academics.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*JL

Date:***2/23/2001 12:30 am*PST

recall that academics weigh equally with extracurricular activities, experiences, etc . . . so people with early interviews may have been viewed by the adcom as being definitely above the threshold due to other factors besides gpa and mcat. although, i am beginning to think that the process was random.

i think a concern of many of the early interviewees is whether their interviewers will remember who they are when the adcom meets two/three months later. what do you all think?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*ka

Date:***2/23/2001 1:18 pm*PST

i would have preffered if my interviews were later on; i had both my interviews early january. I doubt they are going to remember me in may when they finally meet to make final decisions.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/23/2001 3:19 pm*PST

i've heard that they will go until the end of march . . . but that seems strange to me since there will be orientations in early march. so do the interviewees after the orientations not get the opportunity to attend? also, keep in mind offers are supposed to start mid-april . . . i don't think they would interview up until then

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jase

Date:***2/23/2001 3:58 pm*PST

Yeah.. this is strange.

I thought offers are not made until late May, but in my interview invitation it was mid April to mid May

Historically, when do offers get sent?

Thanks

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/24/2001 9:31 am*PST

yes - in the past, offers were sent out in late may . . . but most offers were made in june. i think this year is different since the applic deadline was moved up and more interviews started earlier. i guess we will just have to wait and see if offers will really be made in mid-apr. the earlier the better!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*tones

Date:***2/24/2001 11:30 am*PST

my two cents-

i POSTULATE that all interviewees would be contacted by mid-march (gives three weeks for interview). this allows everyone to have been interviewed by mid-april. i think they send letters to, again, the top students and discuss the others until mid-may.

again, this is only a hypothesis but if you look at the time line ie. sending out notitices mid-april - mid-may, i think this would be the best system.

tones

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***2/25/2001 5:55 pm*PST

Yup. That is confirmed. I know numerous people on the admissions committee, although I am not part of it myself, nor am I able to say anything about what happens behind closed doors there.

If you think about it though, on the one hand I could possibly see this "subconscious bias", but on the other, think about anything where judges are selectively rendering their opinions. It's often worst to be the first people in those situations. Let me give you an example:

Say you're a judge in the Olympics. The first gymnast comes up, and has an amazing performance. Do you give her a 10?

The answer is "nope", because you haven't seen what the rest of the competitive pool is like. On the other hand, if that gymnast performed after all her competitors, and put in that same amazing performance, there's a good chance she'll receive a 10, or at least a score higher than everyone elses.

I think you could apply the same sort of logic to interviews. The bottom line is: if you have an interview, make the best of it, and don't worry about the aspects that you can't control.

Ian

Can, MS2

Archived