Premed 101 Forums

*8 new spots for 2001!

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***12/6/2000 2:15 am*PST

Hey all!

The topic of new seats at UBC medical school was brought up here a while back, and today the BC government confirmed it. It looks like there will be an increase of 8 seats beginning Sept. 2001 from 120 med students to 128. In addition, there is expected to be a further increase each successive year of 8 more students, with a target goal of 32 additional seats in four years (152 med students).

This could be great news for all the aspiring doctors out there, but it's important to see how the next BC government will look at healthcare. The provincial NDP party will undoubtably be replaced next year when elections roll around.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest ubcDMD2005

I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard from a MS2 from UBC that they're trying to increase the number of seats available to 180 seats at the end of the decade. Is this possible with all the cutbacks in funding?....UBC can't even afford to add an extra 4 seats a year for the ubcdent program...how are they gonna add ~30-60 seats to the med program?

Also, as my username suggests, I hope I'll be seeing some of you in the first 2 years at UBC this fall.

Keep up the good work Ian, this is a wonderful site even though I'm not a premed.

Guest Ian Wong

Nope. You would have spoken to someone in my class, and if there's anybody in it that would know about a UBC med expansion, I'd probably be the one of the top three in the know. I've got my fingers in a fair amount of stuff in this faculty.

The current plans are to add an additional 8 students per year for the next four years. That will bring the med class to 152 from 120. After that, things are up in the air, and it isn't guaranteed that enrollment will increase beyond this year, although it most likely will.

BC is looking at med school expansion in a different way, and that would be by establishing a new campus. Victoria, Kelowna, and I believe Prince George have all been mentioned. Action on something of this scale is unlikely for the next 10-15 years however.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Archived