Premed 101 Forums

UBC interviews

Guest BCgirl

Guest BCgirl

I'm a BC resident but I'm not living in BC right now, and I'll be applying for UBC med next year. I've noticed that UBC's interviews are usually over a few days. Can out of province applicants get all their interviews on the same day and are they usually on or off campus?

Guest Ian Wong

It shouldn't be a problem. I lived in-province and managed to get my interviews all on the same day because I was interviewed during finals at UVic, and I only wanted to make one trip between Victoria and Vancouver. I think UBC realises that it's completely ridiculous to expect an out of province applicant to make more than one trip out to complete interviews.

In fact, now that you mention it, I think last year all the OOP students were batched into a weekend group for their interviews to try to make the time disruption as painless as possible. However, interviews may be conducted at a somewhat generalized place, or they may be at various people's offices either on or off campus. For example, I had an interview in a hospital presentation room (a clinician), another at a UBC prof's office, and the final interview in Dr. Bates' very own office. Therefore 2 out of my 3 interviews were on-campus. Since UBC is now only doing 2 interviews per candidate, I assume you might be able to get both interviews at UBC.

Needless to say, in the event that you can't, it's very helpful if you know someone who can take you around, or else bring some cash for taxi fare.

Ian

Can, MS2

Archived