Premed 101 Forums

UBC Courses

Guest James

Guest James

What courses at UBC are good 'filler' courses or are interesting?

I don't know much about the curriculum, and would like to find good courses to take. I have some space in my schedule and would like to fill that either with an easier course to lighten my load, or an highly interesting course.

Thanks

Guest HHH07

Can you elaborate?

I am assuming that you are talking about undergrad. Good filler courses are going to depend on a number of things, including what you are interested in, what you are good at (science, math, arts, etc.), and what your academic goals are (increasing GPA for meds, just taking an elective course that is required to get your degree). In order to give meaningful suggestions, some more information is needed.

Guest Katie

CLST 301!!!! :)

Such a wonderful course. I think its called Technical Terms in Medicine or something like that. It's great because it's pure memorization, there's no final, and hardly any class. After the first week the prof TELLS you not to come to class, only to the weekly quizes. Oh, how I wish it were worth 6 credits instead of merely 3. :) And it's not only easy, its pretty helpful. Now I can look at a word like otolaryngorhinologist and not get scared. (I'm sure that's not a real word though.)

I don't know what year you're in, but MICB 306 (Molecular Virology) was very current and interesting. Not too easy though.

Guest James

Thanks a lot Katie - I will keep those courses in mind when I register.

I am going to be in second year next year, and do not have a particular course area I would like to focus on for these 'fillers.'

I am interested in helping the GPA, and as a result, need something that may be either easy, or, as Katie said, current.

Thanks.

Guest Lancet

Everyone I've talked to who took the CLST301 class said that it was really easy but I think you should be careful. A classmate of mine in 3rd year took the course and recieved something like 98%. He applied for med and didn't get an interview, and when he talked to the admissions people they said they immediately remove the fluff courses like CLST301 when calculating averages. I think getting 80-85% in a more difficult course is more valuable on an application then getting 98% in a course that's well known to the admissions staff as a mark-booster.

WARNING to all the people interested in taking clst301. It is no longer an easy course. The quizzes have been made difficult and it is not longer "a walk in the park" to get A+. It requires a lot and I mean a lot of time to memorize those terms. I was taking all advance chemistry courses the term I took that course and I can tell you that I spent more time on that course than any others. Do not take it if you have a heavy course load. It is a helpful course in the long run but please consider other options if "easy courses" is what you are intersted in taking.

• 5 months later...
Guest Jupiter

Does anybody know where you can find that yahoo page with all the past quizzes and stuff?

There was this briefcase/file share page thingy when I took the course 00spring. I lost the link and I would like to have it for my friends.

Guest not rex morgan

I didn't take anatomy in my undergrad, but from what I understand, if you put in a fair effort, you can do well. I don't think it's a walk in the park, but it's one of those courses that you either know it or you don't. It's also applicable for your medical training later.

Guest KatieKat

Jupiter, I know there's a cheating website out there, but its so not cool to use it. The course isn't even very hard and memorizing the info (instead of the 40 possible words on the exam) is really useful for all bio-related science courses! To cheat in an already easy course is soo unneccesary. Not that cheating in a hard course is...but you know...sometimes *rare* past exams are helpful. ;) j/k!

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

So is CLST 301 still an easy course? And does Adcom really take off courses that "pad" your marks when calculating your avg? So would this be the same case with those Logic courses under Philosophy be the same thing?

Guest kellyl20

I happen to know of someone who is now in UBC med 1 who took 1 or 2 pluff courses per year in their three years of undergraduate and they got it. Their overall average was between 80-85%, average amount of volunteer...so it must be their interview that went really well.

Archived