Premed 101 Forums

I had interview last year...any chance this year?

Guest shrimp

Last year I was in 4th year undergrad and I had the UBC interview but didn't get in. This year I try again and haven't got a call from UBC yet. In fact, my final GPA improved a lot in 4th year (86%) compared to 3rd year (80%) and I had more healthcare work experience upon graduation. It should be reasonable that I will have an interview again. Please tell me around what date the UBC medical school will call the last applicants who can get an nterview. Thanks a lot. Perhaps I should wait patiently. =)

Guest me maniac

last year, they emailed me in early-mid feb. I wouldn't worry quite yet... I haven't heard either and my guess is that as soon as others have heard, this forum will light up with people wanting to know about their interviewers.

I would say that you could reasonably expect them to take until the end of feb before they have contacted most people.

me

Guest Bruno11

If you have a look at the UBC Med admissions site it has a little note to all applicants about when they will be calling regarding interviews. It says

"As there will be several hundred interviews to schedule, it will take at least until February 28, 2003 to contact the majority of applicants who qualify for interviews. "

You have as good a chance as any of getting in this year. Many of my classmates have applied and inteviewed multiple times.. Good luck.

Guest gastriculcer

hi everyone... it's my first time being in this forum. Found it to be very helpful.. appreciated all your comments.

I've chewed on most of my nails already....:x Shrimp..have you gotten an interview yet? please update..

If UBC has reviewed my file and decided that i'm not a candidate for an interview, would they send me a rejection letter right away? Do they let you know if they reject you without an interview? pleeasse.. help . Does anyone know?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there gastriculcer,

In previous years, if UBC rejected applicants without an interview (been there!) they send you a letter that includes your academic and non-academic scores. The letter generally includes the cut-offs for that year. Now, I don't know if they send these out simultaneously or over time.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

HI, gastriculcer and Kristeen,

I haven't heard from UBC medical school yet. :( Like I said before, I got the call on Jan 22 last year and today is Jan 31...I also have a friend who got interview last year and apply again...He also hasn't get a call yet. So right now, what I can do is pray and be prepared. :)

Kristeen, is it your 2nd time to apply to UBC?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi shrimp,

With respect to UBC it's try number three for me: attempt 1 ended in a knock-back pre-interview; attempt 2 ended in a knock-back post-MD acceptance (I'd applied to the MD/PhD program and due to not being accepted to the PhD program, had to relinquish my place in the MD program--d'oh!).

Cheers and good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest gastriculcer

whew... you guys made me feel so much better 8) i thought i blew it already. keeping my fingers crossed and praying for all of us :D

ps. i hope i hear from them soon, one way or the other.. the suspense can get my ulcer to perforate!!!:b

t.

The Med Admissions office is behind this year, and there is absolutely nothing to worry about if you have not gotten a call for an interview yet. Unlike most years, they are giving only about a weeks notice for interviews....I had less than one week!!! THe only thing is to be ready to go, because when they call, you have to go quickly for interviews.

Don't worry and stay prepared!!!;)

Hi, Snkeyz! Thanks!

So how do you know that this year UBC admission is behind? I am wondering why...maybe shortage of staffs??! :P So when did you get your call, Snkeyz? in the morning or afternoon?

Cheers,

Shrimp

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got the call from medical school today!! :D Finally! As I said before, I got the call on Jan 22 last year and this year, it is Feb 20!! Anyway, i hope that doesn't mean my "total score before interview" is lower than last year. God truly taught me a lesson of waiting, hope and faith!

My interviewers are Dr. Voaklander and Dr. Wendy Kendal. Anyone know anything about them? Thanks!

To anyone who still haven't got a call: you still have chance! :)

Kristeen and gastriculcer: any update?

cheers,

shrimp

Guest Kirsteen

Well done shrimp!

They actually called you as opposed to e-mailing you? I'm guessing then, that your interview must be occurring pretty soon?

No word on this front yet.

Cheers and best of luck,

Kirsteen

In fact, they called and then sent an email right after. Also, my interviews will be in March. So still have time! (i know some people just had 2-day notice.)

Kristeen, will you have interviews in other schools? Good luck! You are such a nice person!

Guest Kirsteen

:o Gee, thanks and thanks for your response, shrimp!

I hope to have some interviews at other schools... fingers crossed. (As an aside, this phone notification thing is a whole different experience from mail--at least with the mailbox you have the potential of ending the day's stress by the time the mailman arrives. Phone notification is one entirely continuous, and different type of waiting variable!)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I'm curious that if they can't contact you by phone, do they email you or they have to be in contact with you by phone before they send you an email. Anyone know why UBC is so slow in the process. The adminssion person told me they had the all time high of over 900 applicants this year. Hi Kirsteen, do you have to relinquish your MD spot if you didn't make to the PhD program or is it a personal choice?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi k2yf,

I didn't have any choice in the matter, but others sometimes do, i.e., UBC does let some students who are not accepted to the PhD program continue on in the MD program if they are successful in their application to the latter. My situation was a little different due to my out-of-province status.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived