Premed 101 Forums

UBC Class of 2002 Match List

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Here's a partial list of this year's matches. Overall, I think UBC did extremely strongly as a whole in this year's match; I hope our class can perform as well next year. I think we had something like 7 or so people go unmatched this year, out of a total class size of roughly 120.

10 Internal Medicine

6 Psychiatry

2 OB/Gyn

2 Pathology

2 Anesthesia

2 General Surgery

1 Emergency Medicine

2 Neurology

3 Radiation Oncology

6 Radiology

4 Pediatrics

3 Ophthalmology

2 ENT

4 Orthopedic Surgery

2 Urology

1 Plastic Surgery

There were also a number of people matching into Family Med and Rural Family Med.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Ian Wong

Because I don't have time to check. :) Generally UBC matches a lot of people into BC spots however, and there were definitely both UBC guys and girls who matched into UBC Internal Medicine this year.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest jennifer y

Ian, do you think that med schools tend to match their own students ie when choosing a med school think of the number of hospitals in each province to get a fair idea of your chances of a match in the specialty you are interest in if you do not want to do family med; or the matching has nothing to do with which and where your got your med education.

Guest Carolyn

If you check out the cARMS site http://www.carms.ca you can find the stats on what percentage of those matched to a specific programme were from out of town (i.e. not from the home school)... I was looking at it for emerg med and it seems that the majority of schools do take a good proportion from out of town -- at least in Ontario.

I can't speak for any other school but at mac there are a lot of females in internal med - not sure what the exact breakdown is but I would say it was 50/50 during my rotation... I didn't identify any gender specific issues specific to internal med - what are your specific concerns

Archived