Premed 101 Forums

extracurricular activities??

Guest reahg

Hi there! congrats to all those who are currently in med school and good luck to all those applying. Anyway I am just wondering what kinds of extracurricular activities impress the interviewers. I would assume that those are the things that could potentially set one apart from the rest of the applicants. Any comments or suggestions??

Guest not rex morgan

If you really want to impress the interviewers, you have to be entheusiastic/sincere about the activities you have chosen. There's no formula folks, if anything, it's more of a lottery. Do what interests you. Make time for extracurriculars as you are only young once and university is the place to explore new activities. Fitting in extracurriculars improves the time-management skills that you will need in medicine. Bottom line, do what you really, truly want to do with your precious time. You have to answer to yourself first, before the enigmatic admissions folks.

Guest Ian Wong

Ditto, and I agree completely. Do whatever interests you, and make a committment to it. Don't get into this premed mentality of picking stuff that you think "looks good." Everything looks good if you work at it hard enough.

However, don't forget to include some health care experience in your application. Above and beyond that, do whatever else you like.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest medsera

Hi there,

I agree that you should definitely do things that are of interest to you. It will show through in your interview and thus will impress your interviewers.

I think travel experiences are always quite impressive especially if you've learned a lot from your travels (which usually happens). I remember one interviewer being particulary interested in my travel experiences so we chatted about that for a while.

I also did a lot of volunteer work with kids and for various causes in the local community and I found the interviewers were impressed by that. In addition I had experience working in the health care setting which made it easier for me to relate to the interviewer's points of view...

Hope that helps!

Archived