Premed 101 Forums

Provisional Acceptance, Help!

Guest rdmd15

Guest rdmd15

Hey,

Since I'm new at this (and I'm sure a lot of people are), I'm just wondering what happens if I do a provisional acceptance at one school and wait for an offer from another. If I was to end up getting an offer from the school I'm waiting on, would it automatically accept that one for me or would I get to make the choice later on?

The reason I ask is because the form for provisional acceptance has you list which schools you still want to be considered at, but I'm still not sure where I want to go, so if I did receive a second offer I would still like time to think about it!

Thanks for the help

Guest mg83

You should accept the offer at the school that offered you admission and wait to hear from the other school. If the school you're waiting on offers you acceptance then you simply withdraw your acceptance from the 1st school. You will however lose your deposit but what's a $100 in relation to the massive debt you'll be facing in a couple of years:p

Don't wait to send the acceptance to the first school as most have a time limit as to how long they'll wait to hear from you. It's not a problem to accept and one school and later change your mind. The only time it is a problem is if you accept at one school, defer for a year and then next year reapply to other schools in hopes of getting in then. They really frown on that so don't do it...besides you risk losing admissions at both school since a list is published (and available to all medical school) of who accepted at what school.

Hope that helps...good luck!

Archived