Premed 101 Forums

Histology

Guest dr nomis

Guest dr nomis

I've heard from past UBC med students that having taken an undergraduate course in Histology has really given them a leg up over those who didn't take one and are having a rough time keeping up with the tissue slides.

Has anyone else heard this?

Would some preparation in histology be recommended for someone entering year 1?

Guest Kels2004

Hey dr nomis,

If you're a person who enjoys histo (and I'm not one of them), by all means take the course. But, I don't think it would that beneficial for med school - I go to the lectures and labs, then study maybe 4 - 8 hours for the exam, and that's it.

In my opinion, a solid physiology course would probably be the most helpful, but not required, of course!

Guest kupo

histology is not too bad. i find it fairly easy if you pay attention in the labs and like kels says, study a little bit at the end.

the notes, while dry are quite good. you get the exact same thing in video form too. dr. ovale is a pretty unique character - as unique as they come. and we have some of the best resources around - i.e. the virtual slides and your friends to ask questions. don't worry about it

kupo

Guest dr nomis

Thanks for the tips. The last course I took in undergrad was a solid vertebrate physiology course, and as I flipped through a histology textbook I realised that I've seen a bunch of this before in the vert phys lab. I'm not so worried anymore. Appreciate your help!

Archived