Premed 101 Forums

medical school

Guest CardiacMan

Guest CardiacMan

hey i was just wondering the importance of first year of undergard in regards to being accepted to med school. My first year was pretty much average around 71% i was just wondering will this average affect me in anyway for getting into med school thanks

Guest RoseSmurfette

Well, your first-year marks will affect you in your application for med school (at least at UBC - some other schools in the country look at your best two years, your last two years). 71% is a little low but it isn't that far off - go look at UBC's website to look at their admissions statistics (I think the average mark for people who were accepted was around 80%). If you do well in your next couple of years, you could still be competitive (of course, you need to have good extra-curriculars and interview too). It does depend on what that 71% is though - if most of your marks hover around 71% then it'll be okay. If you have some really low marks (esp. if you failed something) and if these are in your pre-req courses, then you might have some trouble. Again, go look at the websites of the schools you're interested in.

Guest CardiacMan

thanks, my second year percentage is about 86%, I was able to bring them up so im not too worried now about the first year, hopefully i can keep the 86% for the next 2 years

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tigerlily

Hey :)

I had some terrible grades... including two failing grades early on. It was really hard to bounce back from a low GPA, but thankfully UBC also looks at your non-academic criteria. I think this was my saving grace, as my overall GPA still only ended up being in the 70's (between 75 and 80 I think), but my MCAT was good and I have OODLES of volunteer and life experience, etc. SOooo... my advice would be - bounce back as best you can, and start in on the volunteering EARLY and OFTEN. Number of hours count. Having said that... obviously (at least, I hope!) no one volunteers for the sake of getting in to med school alone, so pick something you really enjoy, and delve into it. Also, make sure something has some sort of hands-on experience with people (direct patient-care experience would be ideal).

Also, make sure your application reflects your passion and the things your volunteer experiences have taught you.

But yeah - the better your grades, the better your odds!

Good luck :)

~Sarah~

Archived