Premed 101 Forums

First one in? ... but last to graduate.

Guest cause2003

Guest cause2003

Hi everyone, I just found out this morning that I got into the MD/PhD program. I’m really excited and can’t wait to meet everyone this fall. I know how agonizing the wait is and hope they tell everyone soon.

- Cause

Guest Burachan83

Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment. My brother will be graduating from the UBC MD/PhD program in 2 weeks. I believe it took him 7 years. I'm just wondering how you were notified? By the online application system?

Guest MKxox

Congrats Cause!!

It's quite an accomplishment. Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

xox

Good luck on May 15 everyone else:b

Guest Persistent

A BIG HEARTFELT CONGRATS TO CAUSE2003!! You should be very proud of yourself. We all hope to join you in August... But in reality roughly a third will. Nonetheless, enjoy the next few months!!! Party, Relax, take a load off!

Cheers!

Persistent!

Guest cause2003

>how much research experience do you need to get into MD/PhD?

I think they look at a bunch of factors (essay, grades, motivation) in addition to research experience and potential. When I was at the MD/PhD applicant dinner it seemed like there was quite a range of backgrounds. Some were doing honours thesis projects, or had done research through co-op. Others were working on grad degrees at UBC already (like myself).

>Nonetheless, enjoy the next few months!!! Party, Relax, take a load off.

Sounds like a good idea.

Guest GundamDX

probably a stupid question... but the MD/PhD spots are included in the 224 spots is that correct?

In that case for BC applicants it's not really 40%... since some spots are taken up as MD/PhD... :P

Guest cause2003

Yes the MD/PhD spots are included in the 224 (there's only 2-3 of us every year) and you do have to get into the MD part on your own accord to be considered for the combined program. So I would say it’s still really ~40%.

-cause

Archived