Premed 101 Forums

Best Med school to attend in Canada

Guest CardiacMan

short answer: depends on what you are looking for, what kind of person you are, and what kind of environment you want to learn and live in.

You like west coast weather, an integrated approach to the medical curriculum, and early exposure to family practice offices? UBC might be your thing. Want to graduate earlier? Try Calgary or McMaster (McMaster's 3 years right? correct me if im wrong). Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they have a good curriculum with excellent teachers and facilities.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I always thought it was funny during interviews how nearly every school (that I went to at least) listed the same sort of things that make them better than other schools - better teaching, group and problem based learning, early patient exposure, state of the art facilities, etc...

I think all the Canadian schools are pretty good. Pick the one that fits you best, that's where you want to live, or like most people, pick the one that will take you. :lol

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Regarding the best medical program, in terms of curriculae, every medical school in Canada will provide a good medical education. That is, although delivered in different forms, each furnishes rich experiences that will provide a good foundation for the next stage of medical training--residency.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest jammyjams

"Regarding the best medical program, in terms of curriculae, every medical school in Canada will provide a good medical education. That is, although delivered in different forms, each furnishes rich experiences that will provide a good foundation for the next stage of medical training--residency."

In other words, UBC is best.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

You're probably saying the above tongue in cheek, but just in case, and to clarify your paraphrasing no, I don't believe that UBC is the best school. I couldn't tell you what the best school is, and no-one can.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest canmic

Something to consider, as well, is if you want to do something other than a cut and dried MD degree.

McGill (and I believe UofT and maybe others) offer things like MD/MBA and MD/LLB and a few others.

Also, some schools accept a MUCH greater number of MD/PhD students than others (2-3 per year vs 50+ per year). So if you wanted to do this degree, be sure to take that into consideration.

Archived