Premed 101 Forums

retaking...is bad or not?

Guest ckimf

Guest ckimf

Hi guys

Is ok for me to retake some courses during my last year(5th) ? I took some computer science courses in my first year and I got D anf F. And after that I changed my major (now in kinesiology).I never thought about retaking them until I decided to study medicine. I kinda want to retake them to increase my cgpa. But I heard that it is bad for my application (for UBC). Is true?

Guest supa76

I don't think it would help much unless you were particularly interested in the subject matter, or felt you could do really well in the courses and thus boost your GPA.

I retook phyl 301 about 4 years after my first attempt, and went from a D to an A+. I figured physiology would be an important course to show I could do well, plus the subject matter was something I was obviously interested in studying (uhm.. the second time 'round, anyways).

However, I believe that UBC will average the two grades for the same course if the first attempt was a fail. If the first attempt was a pass, just really low, they don't include the second attempt grade at all. As I mentioned in another post, my retaking phyl 301 was more to improve my last 60 score. I don't think it was included in my overall GPA calculation.

Guest canmic

I think for non pre-reqs they just take the overall average of all attempts at all courses but for pre-reqs it gets more complicated if you re-take.

That's how I understood what was on their website, anyway.

Archived