Premed 101 Forums

Seeking an opinion from you all

Guest EMHC

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if some of you still remember me, but I was on this board a couple of years back when I was trying to get into Med School.

However, things took a turn for me and I ended up working in investment banking (mergers and acquisitions, so not the dudes like Boiler Room, but more like Barbarians At The Gate).

I've got all my pre-reqs done while I was still in school.

Any comments on my eligibility? Will I have an edge or do I have a lot of explaining to do, if I did apply.

Hi EMHC,

You might want to post your stats (GPA/MCAT, ECs etc.), as that might able the rest of us folks on the board to give you a better answer.

I personally do not think you have much to worry about in terms of your banking background negatively impacting your application. In fact, I think it could only help your cause, as long as you articulate why you want to be a physican well. Life experience is a good thing! Switching professions will probably just emphasize that you're motivated to become a doctor.

Good luck :)

Guest potential md

Hi EMHC,

I have a business background too and am trying to get in this year. If you have some good real stories to tell in your interview re why you want to do medicine, and have some poignant moments to talk about in your essay - I don't see why it should stand in your way. One benefit is that the adcom may not know the reputation that goes along with investment banking (or at least the one I'm familiar with - it was the dream job of many of my MBA classmates who were chasing the $$$). However, it does give you some obvious material to say it's not the money that's motivating you to do this now. Been there, done that. :>

Good luck to you!

Guest MKxox

Hi EMHC

I think having worked in investment banking may even end up being a competitive advantage for you since it would presnt you as someone well-rounded who has a lot of experience and people's skills.

Good Luck!:D

Guest canmic

One thing that would help you would be to highlight things that you have done since you finished undergrad that show you are committed to 'lifelong learning'.

Otherwise you may have to deal with doubts/questions about your ability to get back into the grind that is academia after being out of it for a number of years.

Here are my stats to give you guys more bearing:

GPA: 3.4

MCAT: Not written yet

EC: Volunteered in ER, president with membership >400, sat on various on campus comittees

TO canmic, with regards to life long learning, given I worked 80+ hours a week (those were good weeks already) the only other time I had left was write the chartered financial analyst exams.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

What Province are you from? You're GPA is on the low side to be competitive, especially in Ontario. It doesn't mean you have no chance, but a lot of schools use a strict GPA cutoff now before considering anything else, and it is often somewhere between 3.5 and 3.8. If you live out west or in Quebec it's less of an issue.

Life experience though is good, so if you do a good MCAT and can get past the GPA cut-off you should have a reasonably good ap.

Good luck.

Guest canmic

Studying for and writing an exam is a good thing in the life-long learning area.

That GPA is on the low side, but was it consistant or did you have one particularly bad year or ? Some schools look at your 'best two years' and UBC counts the last 60 credits for a lot more than what came before it. Also, what sort of grades on the pre-reqs?

As far as the ECs, how many hours?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great replies. But at this point of time, I think I'll probably be staying at what I'm doing given the options I have on hand right now and the decision to switch careers (not mentioning transforming myself from a professional to a student again) is really big here. Again, thank you all.

Archived