Premed 101 Forums

Associate Deans' Information Session & Wine and Cheese

Guest csp0304

Guest csp0304

It seems like I'll be a bit busy during the interview weekend and I probably can't attend both. I'm still thinking about which one to go to. For those of you who attended these events last year, were they useful? In the information session, did they give information about the curriculum that is not available on the website?

I found the Information Session quite useful. Yes, they give you info about the curriculum and a much closer look into the program in each of the three sites. You will also have an opportunity to ask any questions you may have directly (directors of each site as well as the associate dean etc). I would suggest that you try attending the IS, especially if you have not been to any of them.

As far the Wine and Cheese goes, this is a supposingly relax and fun session prepared by the current 1st year MD students, they give you stats of their class composition (i.e. marital status, age, hobbies etc) and may also prepare a kind of funny video etc. To some people it may not be that much of a relaxing experience, because they may feel intimadated by other (super smart) applicants whom they meet and that may not be a good thing before the interview.... They may also feel intimadated by their 'former' friends who go in last year and are preparing the presentation.... On the other hand, it may be a great experience for you to make connection with the students and ask them about their experience with interview, MD school etc. I would say, you are the best person to decide whether you want to go to W&C or rather spare the experience.

Hope this helps,

pari

Guest calbearod

Parii's answer was pretty accurate. so i'll only highlight the points i felt were important from my own personal experience. the info session isn't the best part. it's the wine and cheese where you get to meet the 1st year students. if you have friends in med school to give you insight on the interview that's great. if not, this is the best resource. i used them the most to generate questions for my interview panel.

u guys get to see what a bunch of yahoos we really are. you wonder how some of us got into med! haha.

we're all about showing u what its like. how relaxing, exciting, and at times, how med school can be stressful. some will love the events we hold, some will feel intimidated. try not to! enjoy the weekend for what it is. an introduction to UBC's med school and the students that inhabit the uninhabited LSC....seriously while it's fun to play ultimate in the east atrium (no worries, I've done it!), perhaps the quiet library they promised would be cool to have.

Kupo

Kupo: i think i know you. :) hehehe.... you told me how to get to this board.

Phyl: no idea.

hey can i get involved with these activities?

me: girl who plays sudoku in the back row.

Guest TKP 123

Congrats to those invited to the interview. I am one of the medical students who will be helping out during the interview session. Hope to see you guys there.

One more month to go. Relax and that's the best you can do. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hychung

someone from the admin office, perhaps mistakenly, told me that the associate dean's info. session is a "smart casual" event. I was going to wear jeans and t-shirt to this one but now I'm totally confused. I thought the wine and cheese event has a dress code and the info. session doesn't. please someone tell me what's going on before I walk into tomorrow's info. session wearing jeans into a room full of people wearing suits. Thanks

yeah just relax y'all. info session and the wine and cheese are supposed to put the weekend into perspective.

one last time. good luck to you all! Remember, the panel WANTS to know YOU, no matter what their mood or facials expressions are. Keep that in perspective as you are asked questions.

i have a friday afternoon shift meeting and greeting you guys. cya all there.

"Kupo"

Guest FastEddy

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I read TKP123's mention of "1 more month to go". Is it that soon that they start to send out offers of admission? I think two years ago the applicants found out in May; when was it last year?

The wine and cheese on Friday night was good fun. Thank you med students for putting that on for us. It was a great chance to get to know my fellow applicants and the first-year students... lots of cool peeps. I was a bit shocked, however, to see how soon everyone left!... I was just getting rollin' on the free wine and the next thing I knew, I was the last applicant left in the joint! :rollin

-E

edited: haha yea, I missed the date of TKP's post. They must have been refering to the interview... oh well! looks like a ton of waiting ahead of us then. :rolleyes

offers last year were released online Friday the 13th of May, about 840 am local time. How do I know? because many on this board at the time pinpointed the exact date that results would be released.

Hope you all had a decent interview weekend. The end of the weekend means the end of our very short "spring break". boourns.

Kupo

Archived