Premed 101 Forums

Interview Qs.

Guest nguyen297

Guest nguyen297

Hi all,

I was just wondering if it were acceptable - have any of you heard of anyone doing this - to bring a note pad into the interview so that you can outline your answers as questions are being asked in order to give a more coherent answer. Someone at the career services at my university recommeneded this to me and I thought that it was an interesting idea.

Also, do you think it is okay to defer answering a question until later? What if you asked the interviewer if you might have some time to think about it?

Thanks, J.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm not sure that it's great advice to bring a notepad to a medical school interview. One of the skills assessed at the interview is your ability to think and act while under pressure. Note-taking during the interview for the purposes of better answering a questions might not be construed as positive in that regard. Also, I've never heard of anyone doing so, nor have I seen this during the meds interviews wherein I was an interviewer at UofC. Given those factors (as well as a couple more) I'd leave the pad at home or use it only during warm-up sessions.

However, in terms of deferring a question during the interview, that might be quite acceptable as long as: a) the interviewee makes an attempt to revisit the question later; and B) it's a tactic that is not relied upon too often during the course of the whole interview.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest TKP 123

Hi

I don't think you need to drop any notes down during the Medical School Interview. However, you can still bring a little clipboard with some blank pieces of papers and with your application-related stuff, just to be in case.

I did not find it necessary in my previous interviews that I have to write down anything during the interview.

u most likely dont have time to write anything down, really. it's them asking u questions.

personally i'd find it odd to write notes after they've asked u a question. there are probably better things you could be doing during the interview (like answering the question :P )

Kupo

Guest kakashifan

there is no rule saying you can't bring a notepad in...

i brought one in last year. (i thought they might ask complex questions and that i might forget one part of the question)

however, i had no time to write anything down and the interview went fine.

i think if you practice with others beforehand, you will get used to knowing which 'stories' to pull from your brain and learn not to panic.

=0. k

Guest grannysmithapple

i don't want to write anything down - i don't think i'd have time.

but - what do you think of a page of points related to myself? i.e. could be bulleted, formatted in a relatively easy to read way.

i don't think i'd have time to look at it but i think it would help 1) reduce any anxiety and 2) help when i've stumbled into a rough spot i.e. glancing at one word can trigger another idea.

has anyone ever done this?

thanks for your input.

Guest physiology

No - I've never heard of anything bringing in a notepad. You can ask them to repeat questions, and during my year, when people couldn't answer questions (blanked out or forgot the question), they just asked the interviewers to ask the questions again later on in the interview.

Physio

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

If you had to choose between time spent making up an interview cheat sheet and solidifying those same points in your head pre-interview, I'd opt for the latter. Given two interviewees who respond to interview questions with identical answers--one from the top of his/her head, and the other after looking at a piece of paper brought into the interview--who would you feel was a stronger communicator?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest potential md

Do you mean the people being interviewed require passport photos or those conducting the interviews? I didn't hear anything about photos being required?

Guest Persistent

The people being interviewed need to bring two passport type photos. See the "interview granted applicants only" of the FAQs. You need to give this to them at the time of registration (20 mins before your interview). You can simply take your photos in those $4 photo bootsh in malls.

Good luck everyone!

i had my pix taken at a shop on W. Broadway.. fotofirst or something like that. It's about 2 blocks west of Macdonald. Cost me 6$ or 7$ for 4 passport pix. Used 2 to get my passport and gave ubc 2. :)

g'luck with your interviews.

Guest potential md

Thanks Jamie911 for the photo info! I don't know how I missed that little tidbit but I'll be hightailing it today to the nearest photo booth. ;)

Does anyone know if the interviewers have your employment history? There was no mention of it specifically in the letter from the Associate Dean in the FAQ section. I've been working for several years so wanted to know whether the interviewers know the details of that or not.

thanks!

Hi there all,

does anybody have a 'reasonable' answer to the following questions/or any question similar to this on:

1. what will you do if I give you 1 million dollars/10 million/you had unlimited resources?

PS. I see that it is very general and vague, but how will you approach this one?

PSS. Some one was so sure that this will be one of the Qs.

pari

Archived