Premed 101 Forums

Redo MCAT?

Guest nutmeg1234

Guest nutmeg1234

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I didn't do well on the MCAT -10VR and 8 on both PS and BS. I am wondering if I should rewrite before I apply? My GPA is kind of borderline as well - high 70's low 80's. Would I have a better chance with a higher MCAT? I am applying to UBC. Thanks!

Guest kakashifan

not sure what kind of circumstance you are in (if you're done your degree and working full time or if you are still in full time studies) but personally i dont' think UBC puts a big emphasis on your MCAT. however, it would be nice if your marks could back up your academic standing.

you stated your GPA but is that your overall GPA or last 60 credits? coz the latter is what ubc emphasizes on, so if your last 60 is better, i say don't do your mcat again. however, doing your mcat again would allow you to apply to other canadian schools.

=0. k

Guest firesawyer

True, UBC doesn't put a high emphasis on the MCAT and I'm pretty sure they don't really look at it untill after you've had an interview. That being said, last year my 'lack' of a stellar MCAT (slightly higher than yours in the 1st post) was a factor in UBC NOT accepting me after my interview last year. When it comes down to it and the admissions committee is sitting down to decide between you and someone else with a 40 on the MCAT, who are they more likely to go with? If you've got the time to do it I don't see how it would hurt your chances... by the way I'm currently redoing my MCAT...

I don't understand, if people are cut because of a low MCAT, why not save everyone time and do it before the interview? I have an interview this year and I have fairly strong stats (my GPA is in the high 80s/low 90s and lots of EC) but I didn't do very well on the MCAT. I feel pretty confident about my interview but I have to admit I'm worried I may be rejected because of a low MCAT. If people are going to be rejected because of this factor, why not just do it before the interview and save people the disappointment? I know one person who got in with 7s and 8s on the MCAT, but is this normal?

Guest firesawyer

From what I know, UBC isn't going to cut anyone because of a low MCAT, except that during the final selection, someone with a higher score than yours may be selected over you... the MCAT is used more as a tiebreaker. I think UBC has their admissions process set up so that a very strong part of the application can help compensate for a slightly weaker part. If you have a 90 average throughout your degree then hopefully that is more of indicator of future performance in medical school than a score on a standardized test. I don't think UBC would ever hold back the ideal med student because of a moderately weak MCAT score... but who really knows how it all works?

Guest kakashifan

yeah... we will never have an idea how ubc chooses people.

if you are worried about your mcat, do it again. aim to get the average (see stats sheet on ubc med page), then you don't have to worry about it.

but really... the way to shine over others is your ECs and your interview. marks are marks but your ECs and the way you present yourself during an interview gives UBC a glimpse of whom they are getting in their school if they accept you.

=0. k

i concur,

i had a semi decent mcat and it wasn't used as a tie breaker. was i concerned? sure i was. so i made the extra effort to be strong in all other aspects of my interview and application such that a semi decent mcat was irrelevant.

three more days! good luck. see you at the wine and cheese.

kupo

Guest nutmeg1234

Thanks everyone for all your help. Kupo - when you say semi -decent MCAT does mine fall into that catagory or is it just low? My prereq ave is low 80's and I actually applied this last cycle and got regrets no int. I got a really low NAQ score but I know (hope) that it was the way I presented myself in the app. I know the MCAT isn't considered until interview stage but I thought about rewriting to show that I am doing whatever possible to improve myself. My life is crazy busy ( I know everyone's is) so it would work best for me if I didn't write it again but obviously I would do whatever possible to improve my chances. Thanks again for all the advice!

tutormom - sorry I am writing in April (if I write)

Guest Persistent

Hello NutMeg...

Here is my two cents. I wrote my first and only MCAT in 2003 and scored 8,9,10,Q. This is not a good score but I don't think it sucks enough for them to disregard me right away. As such, last year when I applied I received an interview (I barely scraped through with just over the cut). My GPA's weren't hot either (pre-reqs: 73%, overall: 77%, last 60: 80%). But the year before that, I applied and got NO interview (with virtually the same averages and same MCAT). The difference came in my NAQ. I went from 13.8 to 17.4 or something. This is what gave me the interview. I got rejected after the interview and was faced with the same decision of "to write or not write the MCAT". I chose not to write the MCAT because I knew that it would consume a large portion of my time and I figured the best way to improve my application was by improving the total file review. By re-doing your MCAT you will not add any REAL points. You will just give them a "note" of how you do have the potential to do well academically. But if you don't pull up your NAQ (either by getting a head start on presenting yourself better--if you think that is what the problem is---or by using those few months that you would study hardcore for the mcat to actually participate in more (& meaningful) extracurriculars...or even better do BOTH!!). I chose not to re-write the MCAT for these reasons. I didn't want to waste my valuabe 3 months studying as opposed to improving my NAQ. That was just MY personal decision. Just thought I would give you another side of the story. Your first goal should be to get the interview. Having said all that, if I do not get offered a seat this year, I will be writing the MCAT in August because I feel like I at that point in time for my 4th time applying and after having undergone two interviews (the last interview I actually scored quite decently according to the Admissions Manager, Angelina), the thing that would require strengthening would be my AQ or at least the impression of my academic potential through a more recent (& hopefully improved) MCAT score.

Wow, my two cents turned into an essay! Hope some of it was useful!

Good Luck!

Archived