Premed 101 Forums

CHEM 233 and other schools

Guest FungManX

Guest FungManX

I'm just wondering whether or not UBC Chem 233 will be good enough for the 6 credits of organic chemistry required from other schools?

I know that UA does not accept it, but how about other Canadian Schools?

Guest leviathan

It's pretty shifty...some schools will probably let you get away if you report Chem 123 as your first term of orgo...and then just use Chem 121/205 for your two semesters of non-organic chem. That's my plan, anyhow...

How did you find the final anyhow?

Guest FungManX

I actually studied my ass off for it,

my friends and I got together the night before after all we finished studying and just stayed up till 2-3am at one of their houses (because it had a whiteboard).

We just went over 2-3 old exams on the board together.. it got to the point where when we just saw the reactant + reagent we could identify the product.

We all thought the exam was ridiculously easy..

I messed up the A-F question though, I remebered that carboxylic acid and NH3 wouldn't do those NAS reactions.. but i wrote it down anyway because I forgot how else I could approach the problem..

my friend pointed out that NH4+ would be produced afterwards... blah

I guess I won't get perfect, but hopefullly I will get over 80+

Guest GundamDX

wo 123 was nasty in my year, 4 years ago i guess... i was trying to do old finals too but i gave up soon coz the questions were just too hard. I pulled of an A coz i did well on the midterm.

same goes for 121 i think. Midterm was easy then the final was bad.

in fact, that went for 205 too!

233's midterm was terrible, 40% average. But I heard with the turnover of the profs, everything has changed now. it's the ultimate weeder course, but most of my friends survived coz they scaled like mad at the end :) same with other weeder courses !

Guest leviathan

Word. I thought it was pretty easy, too. The bonus was a joke, and all of the hints that they put on there. "Intramolecular reaction!" - of course it's intramolecular when you ask what is going to happen and you only have one molecule on the page. :b

Guest TKP 123

This reminds me of my life in org chem years:

Before I took Org Chem 203/204, I was worried too, but it actually turned out the highest scores in my transcript. May be because people told me it was difficult, and I worked really hard on it, ending up in high marks.

For those of you in Biochemistry at UBC, I found Chem 313 (organic chem) much harder. However, the worst is Chem 333 (not sure if this is the course name, but it was purely a spectroscopy course). This course was a real hammer to me. I totally blew that one up, The whole course focused purely on Advanced Spectroscopy, NMR, UV, Mass Spec, etc..., which I found super boring and I didn't like it (hated it a lot). I had no choice but it was mandatory for biochemistry students during that time. It dragged my GPA down. Not sure if they still make people take that one mandatory.

Overall, I think second year chem is useful for whatever you want to pursue after graduation. However, I found the spectroscopy course totally useless to me (probably I am inclined towards molecular biology, tissue culture biology side). That being said, spectroscopy will be useful to those of you who pursue protein studies or graduate school in chemistry.

I would rather see UBC biochemistry undergrad program putting more emphasis on immunology/cell courses... The chemistry side is overly emphasized while the "bio" part is not. These immunology/cell knowledge will be useful to students in biotechnology, as well as in medicine.

Sorry, this may be out of topic. It is just my opinion.

Guest FungManX

Yeah thats a real problem with major programs at UBC.

Like Biophysics for example, the only biology relevance is probably biol 200,201 and bioc 302 + a 1 or 2 biophysics courses for the entire degree.. whats the point of calling the degree biophysics if its all mainly focused on physics?!

Anyway, Lev. marks are out! how'd u do?

I ended up with lower than what I expected |I 78.. gonna have to get that checked out for sure

Guest leviathan

You expected higher than that? The class average for my section was 52%! I ended up with 65 but I am appealing my midterm because I recently noticed somebody was obviously hitting the sauce before they marked mine. If Dr. Bates lets me appeal my midterm after his deadline, I should have 74% based on the questions that were incorrectly marked and my adjusted midterm mark.

• 1 month later...
Guest kaymcee

Just to continue the thread derailment, I agree with the comments about how biochemistry is a great deal more chemistry than biology. UBC is not alone in this emphasis; UVic's biochemistry degree is much the same. Bio-anything is, for the most part, a lot more of the anything and not so much biology. (This is why I chose biology over biochemistry, as the latter has far too many chemistry courses for my liking.)

Guest physiology

The year that I started my 2nd year, the chemistry department (at the behest of the biology dept) completely revamped Chem 231/232 into chem 233 & the lab, chem 235. Anyway - I had a feeling that many medical schools outside of BC woudln't accept this as equivalent for a full year of orgo, so I took chem 203/204.

Chem 203/204 are great courses. The labs suck (ie. if your product isn't like 99.9999999999999999% pure, you only get like 16/20 for that lab or whatever), but I loved the professors and the way the course was taught.

But the problem wiht chem 203/204 is that you can ONLY take them if you declare yourself as a chem or bioc major.

Just be careful - I'd email schools now and ask them if they'd accept chem 233.

Archived