Premed 101 Forums

Interview formats

Guest nguyen297

Guest nguyen297

Hi, I'm new here so I apologize if this topic has already been posted. Does anyone here know the format of the UBC interviews? I noticed that there are three interviewers, is it a three on one type situation or a 1 at a time basis?

I also read a post that stated the interviewers would have your essay and your autobiographic information. Is that right?

Thanks all.

Hi there,

It will be a panel interview: all three peoples at once. The duration is about 45 minutes. All there have a copy of your essay and the list of extracurricular activities. Generally, there is one of them who takes the lead in directing the questions; but each will ask you pretty much the same number of questions. While you are answering to each person’s question, they all take notes of your answers (so, don’t feel offended if it seems like they don’t listen to you or that they are doing their own thing). Towards the end, you will be asked if you have any questions to the panel. So, you should think about coming up with some basic but unique questions (however, remembering that they are not all clinicians or MD curriculum experts).

Just be relaxed, smile (not excessively), know your application very well and be ready to answer questions about why you want to be a doctor. While answering questions, make sure you are maintaining eye contact and not ignoring any member of the panel. This is quite a general comment. I am sure previous posts have more detailed info and you can also look on the internet about how to prepare and what are potential questions for MD interview.

Good luck, pari.

you dont necessarily have to ask a question (I never did). you can offer additional details depending on your conversation with the interviewers. there were a few things that happened in my life that may not be appreciated if I didn't offer additional details.

i played soccer for 10 years with the same team. doesn't seem like much, but it was a defining point in my life. they wouldn't know it if i didnt tell them (btw, they never asked about it during the interview - so i had to discuss it at the end).

Kupo

Guest thatuvicguy

Likewise, I didn't ask any questions. Being fairly obsessive in my preparation, there was little chance that the interviewers would have been able to give me much insight on the UBC med program since they were all recruited exclusively for the interview.

Like Kupo, I used the last few minutes to bring up a significant aspect of my background that had not yet entered conversation. By all means, if you are TRULY interested in what your interviewers have done etc, then ask. A great chat may ensue. But remember that they are doing this all day for 4 days and so, if you ask a question, make it a good one, not just a 'must ask a question at end of interview' type question... You might be better off to find a way to provide a little more of your background for the interviewers to take away and remember you by.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

Archived