Premed 101 Forums

Interview questions

Guest leviathan

Guest leviathan

Hey guys,

I thought some of you would like to share some of the interview questions you were asked at UBC in the past which you felt were particularly challenging to answer, or that threw you off guard. I'd love to hear some of them, providing they are permitting you to do so! I find it's useful to just answer interview questions immediately when I read them to get an idea of how I would perform if I was just asked the question on a real interview (minus the stress of course!).

Guest ewon2003

Hi

In case you don't know about it already, Student-Doctor network has a comprehensive database of past interview questions.

www.studentdoctor.net/int...w_read.asp

Now that UBC has switched to panel interviews, the questions have been standardized and are very predictable. Thinking back to my own interview almost 2 years ago, I have thought about almost all the questions they asked me prior to going into the interview, and I am sure that was the case for most of the other applicants.

I don't think there will be any surprises on interview this year, and to do well and get in you will have perform above average in the interview, especially if your academic score is not 25/25 cuz lots of people who applied have that kind of score.

good luck!

Guest leviathan

I've seen that list, but unfortunately most of them are not unpredictable or questions that would "throw you off" so to speak. Thanks for the response anyways!

Guest thatuvicguy

I had "Teach me something about sustainability" in my interview. It was a question that followed quite naturally from a discussion on some past eco-type work I did.

Nothing surprising about this line of questioning as its definitely advisable to go through your app/resume and know the soundbites/approach you want to have at your fingertips if it comes up/you bring it up in the interview.

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

PS - Nice to see I'm not the only one procrastinating from HDI...

:b

Damn HDI. Staph this, Neisseria that, AB5 toxin what? and im microbi too.

someone asked me to explain the difference between a bacteria and a virus and treat the interviewers as a 12 year old kid. challenging i might say. they asked this based on my background.

if you know your application, you'll have no problem. they want to see if you can explain what u do in lay terms.

good luck

Kupo

Guest leviathan

I just find it funny when you hear questions about people who think psychology is limited to one minor pop-psych field that they have heard in the media. These are some questions I've heard from people when I tell them I'm a psych major:

"So like, are you diagnosing me right now?"

"So what's up with Freud? Do women really have penis envy?"

"Psychology is boring. All those personality tests are so stupid."

Biopsychology and neuroscience of behaviour is the area of my psych major to be more precise. Comeon people, ask me about those kinds of questions! :)

Archived