Premed 101 Forums

Community/Service Referee

Guest Melisende

Guest Melisende

I have a question about the community/service referee.

I volunteer for a doctor, who is a clinical professor at UBC med school, as a clinical research assistant. My job is basicly interviewing patients about possible side effects to medication. I believe the results will eventually go towards publishing a paper. Now my question is would she qualify as my community/service referee. The guideline given in the UBC application instruction is: Community/Service referees may be supervisors, managers, peers, or others in your community that you have worked with. This is really vague. So what do you guys think, would the doctor I volunteer for qualify as my community/service referee? Thanks.

Guest potential md

Sounds like that's a perfect choice for Community/Service referee. You might just want to confirm by reading the Community reference form that person will be completing for you to see if you feel he/she is in a good position to comment on those attributes.

Good luck!

Guest FungManX

I'm just curious.. does employer count as a community referee or does it have to be someone that I've volunteered with? (I'm not applying to med school this year... just want to know in advance to make sure I start volunteering if its really needed)

Guest leviathan

I had a conversation with a med student on here about this not too long ago whose name I'll keep private unless he wants to identify himself. Apparently his paid work at Riverview was not considered "extracurricular" because it wasn't volunteering. I don't know if that also applies to the community service reference or if things have changed since he applied to UBC, but at the time that's the way they were.

I used my supervisor. And he was a post-doc at the NRC in which I was employed for co-op and as a lab tech. I too was concerned about using him as a referee because the nature of my work was academic/scientific.

But it seemed to be okay. I had to use him because he had the best sense of my character for the last 3 years because worked with him everyday. What I did was let him know what kind of referee he was and what they could possibly be looking for. Then I left it up to him to write a letter and send it away.

Kupo

I also have a question about choosing my community service referee. I am trying to choose between two people:

1. My peer who is currently a UBC med student, worked with me as a peer volunteer at UBC hospital, worked in a UBC club together, has known me for >5 years. I KNOW he will write me a stellar letter. I noticed that the instructions say that we shouldnt use current medical students as a Personal Referee. Should I have reservations about using him as a Community Ref?

2. My supervisor at the crisis line that I currently work at, who has known me for 10 months and knows that I do good work there. She said she can comment on 100% of the questions and that she wants to help me get into medical school, but I am not sure if she'll write me a stellar one. Is it better to have a supervisor write one instead of a peer?

Thx!

Archived