Premed 101 Forums

GPA

Guest Drsyck

Hello,

I have a quick question about the gpa. My gpa is pretty low (75%) and I have only one more semester to go. So, my question is, do you guys think that it would be wise to go to a graduate school and get as high a gpa as possible, and then apply for a med school? Do the admission commitee actually take the graduate gpa into account when they make a decision?

Your input would be very much appreciated!

Guest GundamDX

For UBC, I believe all university level courses attempted will be looked at = your overall GPA. Your last 60 credits will also be important. However I know nothing about the weight of Graduate courses. Should you do an extra degree just to raise your 75% avg? I guess YES and NO. If you have outstanding NA stuff, you don't need an A to get in. On the other hand, if you feel your profile is not as "complete" as you want it to be, then yes you might want to do something about your marks. You can also just take classes as an unclassified student. I got 2 friends who are doing that, just taking easy (but interesting) electives to boost their marks. One worked really hard last year and got like a 5% boost (considering he's taken a lot of credits already!), takes a lot of toughness to go through it though.

I emailed UBC and he/she said they will look at all the post-secondary courses taken by the time of application to calculate the overall gpa. I guess I will go for the grad school. I don't care how long it would take as long as I can raise my chance of getting accepted.

Thanks GundamDX for your help.

Archived