Premed 101 Forums

Complete Statis of 2005 Entering Class

Guest TKP 123

The statistics for the new first year is just out.

By statistics, you have a 16% of getting in if you consider all applicants (in province + out of province).

You have a 23% of getting in if you are an in-province compared to other in-province applicants.

Chance is pretty good if you are from BC !

www.admissions.med.ubc.ca...202009.pdf

whoa... i can't believe that the group is getting younger. I remember someone asked if it was easier to get in with the expansion program. I thought that the avg for admitted applicants would be slightly lower, but it went up. Interesting! :smokin

tea

Interesting... ZERO with PhD... wow..

Yeppp they sure are getting younger and younger. In my opinion its sad. Enter at 19 years old.. finish med school at 23, then do fellowship/residency (which is really like a job, cause you have to work 60-80 hours a week). You will be surrounded by all these people who are older and always telling you.. oh you don't understand.. you are young. At least that was my experience in University at such a young age.

These stats make my application to UBC and UofT look like a jock to the adcom... and more money wasted!!!

Hi docbil..actually there is someone with a PhD in the class. You see, the stats are 'at the time of application'. So, I guess, that person just recently finished the PhD.

Good luck with your application!

Guest docbil

Thanks for the info liz.

It is good to know. Some schools are actually now against admitting people with PhD. One example is Laval University.

From what I heard. The new dean is not interested in Scientific physicians... but more interested in Primary care and filling the physician shortage in Quebec. Scary times!!!

heh,

if you actually looked at the pattern of ages, there's just as many older people in 2005 as there were in 2004. the difference is the 24 additional spots were given to students under the mean age of 24.43.

as for the grades and avg. I'm not surprised it went up. you can see the trend already with cut-offs in first year science at an ungodly 85+% (correct me if im wrong). when i entered ubc in 1999, the cut-off was like 71% or something.

nevertheless, i'd say its easier to get in nowaways than say in 2003. even if the average grades of admitted students is about the same (or increasing), thats not the only piece of criteria that gets you in. with that in mind, i'd say there's more opportunity to display some of your other good qualities because a larger number of applicants are interviewed, and a larger number of students are offered admissions.

however, keep in mind that there are more people applying every year. with the number of spots static at 224 for the next 4 years, we'll see if the number of applicants increases, and then we'll see if its harder to get in.

it's all relative. bottom line, look after your own application. that's all you can do. good luck.

kupo

Guest TKP 123

Quite interestingly, the chance of getting in these days is probably the same with the old days when they have 120 students. Last yr's overall admission rate was around 16%. Below are the stats from premed101.com listing the numbers from the earlier years.

Overall Admissions Rate

1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001

Admissions Rate

20.1% 21.7% 19.3% 19.6% 16.3% 14.6%

Accepted & Enrolled

120 120 120 120 120 128

Total Applicants

597 554 621 610 737 874

Guest docbil

TKP... that is a good point.

I was asking myself the same question. How come when there are 100 more spots, the chances are the same?

Was there a 2x increase in the application pool? Where did this increase of applicants come from? Since OPP still 9 people only.

Guest TKP 123

Re:

"Was there a 2x increase in the application pool? Where did this increase of applicants come from? Since OPP still 9 people only. "

Yes, it stems that fact that there are more applicants for more spots. In the past, there were about 600 applicants for 120 people, while now are 1400 applicants for 224 spots.

Around the same admission rate.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest FungManX

Response to BCPHS:

- founder of some huge club at a university

- over 3 years volunteering at a hospital during school

- lots of real (paid) work experience during school

- made a real impact on the community

- volunteered overseas in a third world country

- extensive travel around the world (experience with different cultures)

- lots of research experience (with names on published papers)

- nationally recognized (olympic superstar)

- extremely good reference letters

- captain of a successful sports team

ofcourse very few people have these qualities.. maybe if you have 75% of the stuff here you have a good shot at getting into the interview w/ ubc

Guest kaymcee

This is when we all realize how truly subjective the medical school applications process is. Obviously, there are some activities that are especially desirable, as mentioned by FungManX, but this doesn't negate the applications without such experiences.

The best thing to do right now is to prepare for interviews rather than speculating as to the qualifications of each applicant.

Guest FungManX

sorry for the confusion guys!

haha, i just meant to say that those qualities are probably required when they have a sub 75 gpa applying to med school.

I think anything above 80% with a quarter of those would be good enough to get an interview :P

Archived