Premed 101 Forums

Transfer from Langara to UBC

Guest CoconutSmasher

Guest CoconutSmasher

Hey guys,

I'm 35 and just returned to school to pursue medicine. I'm currently at Langara and hope to transfer to UBC at some point. Two questions:

1. Is it better to transfer into 2nd year or 3rd year? My projected program will be either physiology, microbiology/immunology, or molecular bio/genetics. I read that with the Associate Degree from college you get transfer priority? UBC has been less than helpful so far.

2. Has anyone actually transfered from Langara and do you have any advice on course transfers that isn't already on the transfer guide site.

Thanks for the time.

Peace,

Stuart

There is a very large difference between Langara 1st year courses and UBC second year courses, in fact UBC second year science courses are notorious. On the other hand UBC 3rd year courses are very manageable. I transferred in my second year but if I had to do it over again I would transfer in my third year. Just try to take 5 classes a term or be prepared to explain to the UBC Med. admissions committee why you were part time i.e. work, kids…

I hope this helps.

Guest CoconutSmasher

Thanks for the input. I'm not so much worried about the level of difficulty of the courses, as I am about the relative ease of transfer. Obviously, I am at college because it's simply cheaper (and happens to be very close to my home). I am taking a full course load and plan to continue that as I understand the need for med school to assess your ability to handle a larger workload. I'm really just trying to find someone with transfer experience who can tell me what obstacles there are if any. GPA, transfer priority, that sort of thing.

Thanks again.

Peace,

Stuart

Guest Elliott

Hey CS,

congrats on returning to school to pursue med. I returned at 22 and that was hard enough....

1. My advice, taken from experience, is to transfer in 2nd year. Why? At langara, if you have no past or recent chemistry and physics backgrground, you must taken an ENTIRE year of no-credit courses in both subjects (2 courses each, 2 semesters), which you must pay for. Also, they do not transfer. At UBC, you can go into first year full course credit chemistry with no previous chemistry. A little harder at first, but if you try, you will get the hang of it.

2. I transferred to UBC this past fall after two years at Langara. If I had it to do all over again, I would have transferred after 1. Being premed you have to have a lot of prereqs done for courses req for med school. You don't have time to dink around taking equally difficult courses for no credit.

My advice to you is get your GPA through the roof and then move on. Also, remember you need to satisfy a math requirement to get into sciences at UBC. Check with the faculty of sciences to be sure.

Things I learned from Langara:

-It's cheap

-It's harder than UBC

-UBC is better for science students because there is much more funding per student

-the counsellors at Langara, as nice as they are, are completely useless. They know little about transfer process, requirements, etc. Their web stats are hardly ever updated or correct. Call the school of whatever you want to get into. Ask them, email them. They will answer. They don't give pre admission academic advising, but they will answer your questions about the admissions process. Don't stop until you get what you want. And I hate to say this, but as much as the people are nice on this board, everything is hearsay and not official. Get it from the source. Once I stopped listening to everything everyone else was saying (at school, on premed 101, etc), things got a lot less complicated. This board is great to share experiences, but when you need advice on factual things, you should approach the faculty advisor for sciences at UBC.

Also, associate degree ashmosicate degree. Forget it. you will be there forever trying to get it complete. One of my friends is still there in her 3rd year of school to get her "associate degree" - and when she transfers she will be in fourth year with third year standing because you can't take upper level courses at Langara.

Feel free to pm me if you like. I recommend getting out of Langara asap. You are 35, you dont need to spend 5 years on a degree. Get into UBC, apply to med in your 3rd year. If I was thinking in the first place, thats what I would have done.

All the best,

Elliott

Hi CoconutSmasher, good for you for returning to school to pursue med. You'll find UBC Med great!

Regarding transfer....I guess it really is up to you when to transfer. The only thing I have heard is that the Organic Chem thing at Langara (taken in 2nd year) is much easier than UBC and other colleges. I transferred to UBC from another college (not Langara) and I heard from numerous people that Langara is known for being much easier for Organic Chem. And since Orgo is one of the pre-reqs, it is in your best interest to get a good grade, especially considering that this course is notorious for being super tough.

I transferred to UBC after second year and I found third year courses at UBC muuuuch easier. My GPA in third year shot through the roof.

I think you'll be fine and good luck!:)

Archived