Premed 101 Forums

Pre-reqs U of T

Guest nammer21

Guest nammer21

Anyone here apply from U of T that can give me some sort of course equivalency for the pre-reqs requested from UBC? Thanks!

Guest hmmz

Hey.

When I applied I just used all the 1st/2nd yr equivalents. For some I even put down both (exp. CHM138 and CHM247). So if you aren't totally sure just put down both the first and 2nd yr equivalents. They'll figure it out themselves when they look at your transcript.

Guest nammer21

To be more specific..

I only took first year chems..i.e. chm138/139

Since they're looking for two courses, does that mean I have to have taken a 2nd year equivalent?

What did you fill out for you English/Biochem pre-reqs?

Obviously, bio can be filled with Bio150.

Guest hmmz

They're looking for a physical chem and an organic if i remember correctly. For the bio credit I put down 250 b/c its cell bio that they want. I had an IB english credit... so i'm not sure what to do with that.

You can PM me if you have more questions!

Good luck - hope it helped

Guest tkfkdgo

do you think you could be a bit more specific?

what i mean is, i've taken CHM138/139.. so do i need to take 247 and other second year courses to fulfill the requirements? cuz i really don't want to take another chem lab... |I

oh, and for biochemistry.. what course did you actually take? is BCH210 not enough?

thanks so much!!

Guest docbil

Pre-req are basically

First year Bio with LAB

First year Inorganic/General Chemistry with LAB.

First or second year Organic Chemistry with LAB.

First Year ENGLISH (1FULL COURSE=6 credits).. but this is changed now I think. I though I read something about exemption from english.

RE: Biochmistry. Hmmm They normally require one full course biochemistry. BUT at UBC you can meet the requirements with one half course general biochemistry and one half course in cell biology.

So if you take BCH210 at UofT, you will need to take second year CELL BIOLOGY at UofT. That should transfer over to equivalent courses at UBC.

To make sure you will get credit equivalence. You can photocopy or print the course description... break down per lecture. It is on biochmistry website. And Do the same for CELL BIOLOGY. And send a request to Department of Biology (for Cell bio course) and the Department of Biochemistry (for Biochemistry course). Tell them you are interested in transfering and would like to know which course would be equivalent at UBC. IF you have department equivalence... stated in a letter. Then UBC MED will MOST LIKELY have to accept the equivalence.

YOU CAN DO THIS FOR ALL THE COURSES. It takes some work.. but it will assure that you don't forget something or that they don't later say ... no sorry we don't accept it.

Before you ask me... I am at UofT, but I did my undergrad at UVic in BC. So my pre-req from UVic are already listed on UBC website.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to be redundant. I'm applying to med school next year and am considering applying to UBC. I haven't met the requirement for English yet and am planning to fulfil it this summer at UofT. Can someone please tell me which UofT English courses would be accepted as pre-req. at UBC?

Thanks! :D

Archived