Premed 101 Forums

transfer to UBC Med?

Guest uigi

I just started at another Canadian Medical School this year and I realize how much I truly miss Vancouver - all of my family and true friends are there and I really really want to transfer to UBC.

Is it likely to receive a transfer position?

Guest scrubbed

Hi uigi,

The website provides some guidance on this question.

www.admissions.med.ubc.ca...&area_id=1

Admission of Students by Transfer

Opportunities for students to transfer into the UBC MD program are limited. Transfers are exclusive to third year and are possible only if there are vacancies in the class. In order to be eligible, students requesting transfer must be in good standing in a Canadian or US medical school accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools and the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.

The application deadline for transfer students is January 31. Applicants must submit an application for admission, application fees, a letter indicating their reasons for wishing to transfer, and a letter from the dean (or designate) of the medical school which they currently attend. Interviews may be required. Please note that vacancies are rare. Requests for partial-year transfers will not be considered.

I don't think, then, that you will be able to transfer, even in third year. I can definitely understand where you are coming from. Although I can imagine that this is a personal issue, try to talk about your feelings with those that you think can help you. In addition, there may be people in your class who feel the same way of they had to move to attend you school from a different province. Finally, it also may be useful to speak to someone in Student Affairs or a counselor in order to help you out.

Take care.

Guest FungManX

hey relax,

at least your still in another Canadian med school..

think of all the others that have to go south to study,

They may never even get a chance to practice in Canada agian!

Just rough out the next few years.. make some new friends and enjoy yourself while you can!

Hey guys -

Thanks for the advice - it's been a really emotional move from Vancouver - the support is appreciated.

I know that, in the end, I will suck it up and just get on with things. But right now, the contrast of my life here with my life in Vancouver makes me feel so lonely - and it's just been tough to deal with.

Guest scrubbed

I'm glad that you found the advice somewhat helpful. As you said, you will get on with it and, perhaps, I hope, even find some redeeming qualities about where you are presently. Keep discussing the situation with others. I hope that you can continue to battle through it.

Cheers :)

I can totally understand why you miss Vancouver after moving to other province. When I was an undergrad, I had to spend a summer working in a rural part of Alberta as a Coop student. I missed Vancouver quite a lot during that time.

However, try to enjoy your time outside home, and you will learn a lot of experience.

Archived