Premed 101 Forums

Please Help! Question regarding verifiers for UBC Med Appl.

Guest RedPotato

Guest RedPotato

So I'm filling out the NA Experiences portion of the UBC Med application form, and there are a few awards/activities from my high school years which I no longer have a contact person from the said organization... I was thinking of using a friend/family member as a verifier, as many have suggested for the OMSAS, but as I was skimming thru' the application instructions booklet for UBC, it states that the "title of contact" box should state the position of the verifier WITH SAID ORGANIZATION... what should I do? What are you guys doing? Anybody else planning on putting down friends/family members? What would you put in this box then?

Thank you for any replies! I really appreciate it!

Relax!

I know the applocation process is stressful... take a deep breath. I was in the same situation last year. You should really try to find out who would be the person to contact in said organization right now. Call up the organization and find out if they keep records of past volunteers (lots do). If all else fails put down a friend who volunteered at said organization with you (that's what I had to do). Remember they probably won't check the verifier if it's not something really important in your application (like building houses in a third world country) thats worth a lot of points. DO PUT SOMETHING IN THE BOX! It's really important otherwise it might stand out and look suspicious.

Good luck and hope to see you next year!

~Mikka

Just to lend you some of my experiences with the application process last year, I used my mom as a verifier for many entries, because there was no one else to use as a contact. I did a cross country trip (on my way home from a co-op term) by myself, so it was mom who was the verifier (can't really put myself down). I also volunteered for the 2002 Alberta Winter Games and they actually destroy volunteer records after each event (not sure if they still do that), and I had no other contact/verifier. I called the games manager and he said he had no records. So I was left to use mom again as the verifier (she actually has my volunteer sweater!).

At any rate, as long as someone you know can say you did the activity, it's all good. Obviously, verifiers that have access to records is best, but it's not the end of the world. Good luck.

Kupo Med 1

Archived