Premed 101 Forums

For UBC Biochemistry student.

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

I have the option to take Chem 304/305/333 or Chem 313 in my 3rd year to spread my courseload a bit. For those of you who took them before, which set would be less time-consuming? Can I do well in Chem 333 without Chem 313? Looking for comments. Thanks!

Eric

Guest adduction

Taking Chem 313 before Chem 333 will not help you. The two courses are different. 333's is just spectroscopic techniques...i.e. how NMR works, what C-NMR is, what mass-spec is...etc. Chem 313 is like Chem 203/204 except harder and more bio-relevant (organic synthetic techniques of amino acids, carbohydrates, nucleic acids). 313 may be stated as a pre-req for 333 but really it doesn't matter if u've taken 313 before 333 or not.

I took all four of those courses (Chem 304, 305, 313, 333) in my third year which was very stressful lab report wise (each one of those has a lab!) but that made 4th year very easy (required courses = bioc 402, 403, 410).

If you're looking to take only one in 3rd year, consider that 304 and 305 are rather easy (useless, but easy) while 313 is tougher (it's ochem after all) and 333 is just plain nuts (especially if Lermer's teaching it again!).

the other argument is that 313 is easier in ur 3rd yr because a) biochem 402/403 will draw upon Chem 313 (so u may want to do it before 4th yr) and also that Chem 313 will "SEEM" easier since 2nd yr ochem is fresh.

Haha so I guess i really didn't help you lean one way or the other - but i guess those are two things to consider.

Hope it helped.

-Add.

Archived