Premed 101 Forums

Grad Applicants 2006

Guest docbil

Guest docbil

For applicants with Graduate Degree - Can you believe it is new application cycle already. My referees (for LOR) are not enjoying this that is for sure.

I have a few question!!!

1) Do you know if we will have a chance to submit aditional information in January? UofT has that system. You submit additional reference letters and research productivity in January.

2) Also, I could not find the number of reference letters required for UBC. Is it 3 or unlimitted.

3) What is the address where to send Transcripts?

4) UBC's Online application: Do we have to input every course (like OMSAS) or just the pre-req. That would be so much easier.

Thanks.

Docbil

Guest thatuvicguy

Hey docbil,

Thatuvicguy here. Hope your apps are going well. If I recall correctly, last year we only entered our prereq courses. As well, last year, 3 references were required but these are only called in if you get an interview. Last year you had to identify who your refs were early in the process but this caused significant issues for people who lost track of their often elusive profs etc. I heard that this year they are leaving the ref-naming until later in the process - of course double check on this. Last year, specific forms were used (1 community, 1 personal, 1 academic) so no letters necessary although there is a space for comments which *hopefully* a good referee would use.

All the best,

thatuvicguy

Guest docbil

Hi AL,

Thanks for that answer. That sucks if they don't want refences till interview time. Basically saying it is not relevent what your references are. They will just look at grades and EC and then decide. Hmmmm no need to use those big hot shots for LOR. It won't work till interview time... if I get one.

Ohhh well.

BTW.. you must be so hyped. You start next week right? Are you Island or Vancouver? I am soooo gealous (but happy for you) 1- because you start at UBC 2- Because of recent "gift".

Why am I writing you on here.. why don't I just send you an email. Crazy heyyyy!!!

Guest TKP 123

docbil,

did you go to the feedback session? It contains lots of info which can help you somehow improve your application or interview next year.

Guest docbil

TKP

Negative on the feedback session. I am doing my PhD in Toronto. I have not been back to Vancouver for 1 year. And let me tell you every morning I wish I was going back for good.

Actually it is my first time applying to UBC. Mainly, because my 10 year limitation kicks in this year. Meaning, my horrible 1.8 GPA from Kwantlem College, gets officially excluded. Just image 1994. Okay, I should add that I was 16 then and not ready:\ .

Guest TKP 123

try to see if they let you do a telephone feedback. It is possible that you can pick up something there (for interview, at least).

by the way, here is the address to send your transcripts:

317-2194 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, BC Canada

V6T 1Z3

Tel: (604) 822-2421 Fax: (604) 822-6061

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

In previous years UBC did schedule telephone feedback sessions for folks who could not be in Vancouver to meet for their feedback. It's a good idea to give that a go as even if you can collect one piece of useful information, it might help your next application.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest docbil

Thanks KTP and Kristeen, The support system and advice you guys give is great.

I will give them a call about feedback session.

One quick question. Isn't feedback session for re-applicants? Or is it for all kind of applicants (first time and re-applicants)?

Also what do you do during these sessions. Do they have your information/application and go through it to suggest places to improve on. Or is it simply a way for the applicant to ask all the questions they have and get direct answers?

Thanks Much again,

docb

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The feedback session used to be for anyone who had applied to UBC during that past application cycle.

During the session, UBC used to give you specific feedback on various sections of your application, i.e., the stronger and weaker points, but if you are prepared in advance, you can try to ask more specific questions.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived