Premed 101 Forums

ABA Therapist Job

Guest FungManX

Guest FungManX

Hi, I'm going to an interview for a ABA therapist job.

I'm wondering who else has done this before (the job)

and if you could provide any insight to what the interview and work is like ?

8o

Fungman,

ABA's good stuff, are you BCABA or BCBA certified? In BC it doesn't matter at this time, but if this is something that you are thinking long term i'd encourage you to. Which company are you applying for - in North Van or Richmond or elsewhere? My wife is going to be involved in it and she thinks its one effective therapy for children with Autism.

I don't know much about the interviews, but im sure they are just looking at your experience with working with Autistic children and if you've had any education in behavioral analysis and if you've seeing or done any ABA therapy yourself - wish you all the best!

Tyler

Guest FungManX

Hey Tyler,

I'm just a 18 year old second year science student |I .. as far as I know this job is just assistant work... all I know is that I'll be trained by a Professional Therapist (phd? md?) to look after one 4 year old autistic child.. training lasts for a few weeks then I'll be on my own; I'll also have biweekly meetings with a group of other students (trainee's) who are each assigned with their own children to discuss things we've learned etc.etc. I'm not too sure what company I work for.. but I'm going to be travelling to coquitlam to someones house to work.

Anyway hope I get the job!

:smokin

Guest sparkle

Hey FungManX,

Are you applying for the junior/line therapist position? I've actually had a few friends done this in the past. If this is indeed what you are applying for, they tell me that they aren't really looking for ABA experience (although that would be beneficial) but more so that you are able to get along wiith their child so that sessions may be effective. Creativty and humour usually helps too. Training is usually done by a ABA certified senior/lead therapist and I don't think they expect you to have any prior knowledge (especially considering that my friends who did it were studying music and drama).

Good luck!

Guest FungManX

^Yep thats the one!

I just had my interview yesterday morning and things seemed to have went Really well. Their kid seemed to like me alot!

But unfortunately... there are many others who've applied to the same position.. she already told me that I was the 13th person she'd interviewed, and theres only 5 spots..

I feel as if I just had the interview for med school... usually I'm hired on the spot.. but she has to wait until she interviews more people to make the final decision.

Now I'm worried .. I might have screwed up the interview...:(

Guest sparkle

Hey FungManX,

Don't worry about it...if this one doesn't work out, I'm sure there are other similar positions you can apply for. Coincidentally, I recently got a call from two different families who were looking for line therapists but I had to turn them down since I'm starting med this fall. If you like, you can PM me your contact info and I can pass it on to them.

Sparkle

Guest FungManX

Hey thanks for the offer sparkle and congrats on making it into med!! I would rather be in your shoes right now.. :P !

I was just notified that I got the job! Apparently the delay

was due to the fact that the employer wanted to do a background check on me with my references..

My references called me back right after and told me that

she seemed really concerned about my age (I'm 18) so.. they somehow reassured her that I was mature enough for the position.

But yeah... need to celebrate with some Starcraft !!

Archived