Premed 101 Forums

How do SFU gpa's convert to UBC %, do I have a chance?

Guest Marvin0123

Guest Marvin0123

Hello,

I am an SFU science student (biology), with a cgpa of 3.33 (on sfu's 4.33 scale). I have been looking around but can't find how this GPA from sfu would convert to a % at ubc med. At sfu, a B+ is 3.33, A- 3.66, A 4.0, A+ 4.33. I just finished second year, just want to find out if i still have a chance (I think my GPA will go up quite a bit in the next 2 years, as I had a lot of other things going on with a full courseload, and I didn't put a lot of effort into school).

Guest sparkle

Hey Marvin0123,

I remember asking a UBC rep how SFU's GPA is converted and I was told that >90% is A+, 86-89% is A, etc. but that the actually calculations were confidential. I guess that's just the way things are sometimes.

Anyways, all I can say is that my 4.23 GPA was converted to 87.3% and my 4.04 GPA was converted to 85.4%. However, a score out of 25 is given and I think the cutoff to get 25/25 was around 85% this year so anything higher doesn't quite matter (thus, anything higher than an A- (3.66) at SFU doesn't matter? I don't know if that's true of not...just speculating).

Hope that helps! Keep in mind that UBC looks at GPA for pre-req courses and last 60 credits, in addition to overall. Also, academics only counts for half of your score.

Guest Marvin0123

Thanks for the reply, thats exactly what I wanted to know. Also, I heard that they do not actually factor your prereq average into your academic score. I heard the academic score was based on last 60 , overall, and mcat, and not the prereq avg, but it was used post interview to seperate some close applicants. But I could be completely wrong on this, just what I heard. Thanks again.

Archived