Premed 101 Forums

workstudy

Guest kakashifan

Guest kakashifan

hey guys...

I will be starting this sept as a 1st year med.

Workstudy applications will be out tomorrow(students.ubc.ca/careers/o...ications).

I've worked part time as a workstudy student for the past three years now without any problems. (10 hours/week). (it's a great deal... $15/hr!)

Would being in 1st year med make it hard for me to continue to have a part time job?

Thanks in advance!

=0. k

Guest Jochi1543

Just wanted to grumble that my work/study only pays me $7 (US) an hour....:rolleyes Lucky me, I don't do much at my job.:hat

I quit my work/study junior year because I felt I was too busy with school and volunteering - I didn't have science labs before that, but my junior year I had 10 more hours of classes than I did sophomore year. But now I need the money quite a bit more and I decided that I will resurrect my employment as long as I get to remain in my old department where I had an hour of downtime for every hour of work. To me, that's the key - if you have some free time at your job and need the money, keep it. $15 is pretty good! I hope I can find me a job with this wage once I move to Canada next spring.:eek What did you do at that job, anyway? (not that it matters, I won't be attending UBC, and at SFU you have to be full-time to get work/study....:rolleyes )

Guest physiology

Hello,

There's one girl in my class who did that. She however, lived on campus and reasoned that because she didn't have to commute, she would spend the time working instead. So it's possible. If you keep up, review regularly, the volume is definitely manageable.

Physio

Guest Nicksinbc

Hi! I too intend to work suring my first year of medshool. Mine isn't a work-study position but it is also approx. 10hrs/week. I think that it is possible and depends in part on the individual...ie discipline, time-management skills etc. Has anyone out there worked while in med-school...if so I would love to hear about how it worked out.

Thanks,

Nicks

I worked last year, and I didn't have any problems with keeping up whatsoever. But I did only work about 4 hours a week. I know of a couple of classmates who worked an 8 hour shift a week, and they didn't seem to have any problems either. I mean, really, if you're not working, most of us will just end up wasting the time doing nothing. The only downside of working is that when it comes to exam time, you might find that you're a little more stressed for time, but like the other people said before, it's all about time management. If you really do need the time off, just ask your supervisor for like 2 weeks off before exams or something.

Archived