Premed 101 Forums

References

Guest geitenkaas

Guest geitenkaas

Hello all,

I am in the process of putting together my application for 2006. I want to use the same three references as last year, pretty much because they are my only choices. I know that two of my references would write positive letters and am 99.9% sure that my acedemic reference wouldn't have anything bad to say about me. How can I ask these people if they are able to write the GREAT reference letter (as opposed to just a good letter) that I know is required to have a competitive application? I don't want to come across as pushy and inconsiderate towards my refs and then have them change their mind about me. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the input!!!

Guest leviathan

Well if these are your ONLY options, what good will asking them what kind of letter do for you? They know they need to write a GREAT letter for you for med school, so yeah, if you ask them that and they say "no", then what do you do? Asking them if you can write the letter anyway would not look very good.

Guest Elliott

This kind of situation is always so sticky because you want the best reference but you don't want to be pushy as you said.

What I do when seeking this type of reference is: ask the potential reference if they would feel comfortable providing a detailed and positive reference letter for your medical school application. Let them know exactly what you are looking for. I think people appreciate this as it helps them have a better understanding of what you want from them if they have never done this before.

Further, I know it's hard to find references, but try to chose those in which you have confidence in their written abilities. Some people are just better at expressing things on paper than others - these are the people you should aim for.

Hope this helps,

Elliott

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I agree with what has been said above. In addition, what might help is to provide your letter writers with a bit of information on the activities or accomplishments in which you have been involved, but about which they might not know. You could do this by giving them your CV.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest TKP 123

1 more point to add,

Please make sure that if you are granted interview this coming March, the references listed in your application will be the same references whom you are going to use after the interview. You cannot change them in March.

In the past, there were some people who were rushing to finish their applications before the October deadline. They roughly put the names of references in the application, thinking that there was still a long shot to get an interview. And if they did get an interview, they thought that it would be a matter in March anyway, and that's the time they went to talk to the refs to see if they were willing to write them the letters. And if it turned out that a ref wasn't the best choice, then it was too late to change the refs.

So, when you do your application, don't do it with a narrow goal just to get an interview. Do it with the goal to get in.

Guest canuck1

Just a note on UBC references...

This year, UBC has changed things in that you will not give them a list of references until after you are invited for an interview. I confirmed this with them yesterday and was told it is to prevent people from having to change references between October and February.

Guest adduction

That's a good change I think. I've heard stories of people who had refs lined up but then when it came time to submit the letter - the community service ref went on vacation or the personal reference took sabbatical etc. and then couldn't get the forms in on time.

If UBC is doing this (which you say you confirmed they are) it still is best to approach a potential reference early on. If you're applying to other schools, chances are reference letters are due a few wks after the application if not on the same day (U of A and OMSAS spring to mind). Maybe just notify your referees that pending an interview UBC requires the letter in March. That way they know what to expect. The more info you give them, the better.

Archived