Premed 101 Forums

MCAT report

Guest Quinn604

Guest Quinn604

Hi everyone,

With the UBC Undergraduate MD application, I know that UBC will take the highest overall MCAT score. I have taken the MCAT twice. Do I need to report both sets of scores or just the one with the overall higher score?

Thanks for any help.

Quinn

It is my understanding that you need to report all of your scores. They don't, contrary to what some have feared, ding you for having a bad MCAT in the pass (they're not that angry at you). In fact, admissions can be really nice and combine MCAT scores to give a better overall composite score! It happened to me last year (Admission for 2004) and it could very well have happened this year (although I will never know since I got in).

My first MCAT was 4-11-12-R (VR, PS, BS, WR)

My 2nd MCAT was 9-10-11-O

The combined my scores into 9-11-12-R. Not bad at all. That being said, MCAT plays a minor role in the admissions process (at most couple of % out of the entire application score) as it is used as a last resort tie-breaker or a reason to not offer you admissions because they're having a tough time deciding between you and 5 other applicants.

Kupo

PS, you know, sometimes I think that the MCAT is still required at UBC just to avoid having to sift through 5000+ applications (cough, cough, MCMASTER...). I suppose this is a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

Guest KatieKat

Kupo, are you positive that UBC combined your MCAT scores? Here's a direct quote from the admissions website: "If you have written more than one MCAT from August 2000 to August 2005, the MCAT with the best overall total score will be used." I'm pretty sure UBC only used your 2nd MCAT score.

If the best score of a section from each test was taken, then people could easily just take the test three times and only focus on only one section each time. And of course, that wouldn't be fair to people who studied all three sections for one exam.

Guest TKP 123

They probably won't take individually section out.

Instead, let's say you screw up a different section each time, they would put in the comment box in your final review sheet, saying that you have obtained a higher score in that part before.

It won't be used for the overall calculation, but it can serve as a flag or unflag when they have a reason to keep you in or screen you out.

heya,

yeah, to be more specific, what they exactly did was take my first mcat score and put a comment on the verbal saying it was improved considerably.

i just view it as "combining scores". but to be accurate and so ppl dont get confused, i stand corrected :) . nevertheless, having more than one mcat score didnt seem to work against me.

kupo

Archived