Premed 101 Forums

extensive travel?

Guest FungManX

Guest FungManX

I was just wondering about the med school application.. I always hear people talk about how they put down they had extensive travel in their application and I never had any idea what that meant!

so.. does it mean to just do travelling around to see the different parts of the world?

or does that mean to travel around and at the same time volunteer in the hospitals?

or does that mean to travel around to different 3rd world countries and volunteering in those hospitals?

or ..........

haha someone help me explain this

I dont' really know where I'm going.. Just want to find out what the travel part of the supp-application is asking for.

Thanks!

Guest physiology06

I think it can mean any of the things you've mentioned. I think they'd like to see that you've had life-broadening experiences. Working in foreign hospitals would certainly give you a chance to see other forms of health care and would be quite interesting.

Me, I never had the chance to do much travelling (too costly, had to work in the summers), and correspondingly didn't write any travel experiences down. I focused on the things that I did in Vancouver (I think every activity I put down was in BC), and I still got into med school...

That said, I would've really liked to go do some travelling if it were possible - if you have a chance, go for it! But in terms of med school, travel's nice, but not a pre-requisite.

Good luck on your application.

Guest oliver5

What I did was broke my travel down into :

Independent Travel - ie. helps for experiences showing self-reliance

Travel with Family- b/c I'm lucky to have done a bit so I just followed with a list of countries - i think I tied this into exposure to other cultures ... can't quite remember how I worded it :) -

Then if you volunteered at a hospital etc in a foriegn country I would keep that seperate to emphasize it

Hope that helps etc.

Archived