Premed 101 Forums

Access To Work-out Facilities?

Guest Asuna Med 2009

Guest Asuna Med 2009

I am just wondering if we have access to a gym as UBC med students or if we have to pay for a membership? I heard that there are some facilities at the alumni building, are they decent? Also, can we access any gyms on campus (and by gym I mean weights, cardio equipment etc.). Thanks

Guest MedAnxiety

There are two work out facilities on campus. One called the Birdcoop in the SRC (now called UBC Rec), where you have to pay for membership (quite expensive...but the place is very well-equipped and you won't be disappointed). The other is in the aquatic centre...and it's FREE for students at certain times (or is it all times?) and they have less stuff...and it gets quite busy...but it's FREE!

Guest Danish

The gym at the alumni centre has a limited amount of equipment, but people in my class seem to use it often and are happy with it. It has some cardio equipment, a bench press, and a decent set of free weights. There's also lockers and showers too. It's good because you can get a quick workout in at lunch between classes on days that you're at VGH.

Guest sparkle

I was checking the aquatic centre website and it seems like there's a student rate for using the gym. Is it specifically free just for med students at certain times?

Guest 604EL

No no... the aquatic centre is free to ALL students with a valid ubc card, but only during certain times (I kind of forgot, but it's something like between 11am-2pm and after 5pm). At any other times, you have to pay to go in. That place isn't that great... it's crowded during the times when it's free, and it gets pretty stuffy and hot.

Guest Elliott

Birdcoop isn't really that expensive - I think it's 135 a semester for unlimited access. Considering the benefits it brings to your studies and quality of life, it is really priceless in the end.

I would go with Birdcoop. You can get specific packages that allow you to go at specific times, which are significantly cheaper. If you're not into the gym, check out the fitness progs - you're sure to find something to fit your schedule and your budget.

Best of luck!

Archived