Premed 101 Forums

MCAT: UBC vs. BCIT

Guest nostalg

Guest nostalg

Hello,

I just got my MCAT admission ticket, and I was placed to write in BCIT (my 2nd choice).

I would have preferred to write in UBC just because I am very familiar with the campus.

I have never been to BCIT's campus.

has anyone written the MCAT at both sites?

any feedback would be appreciated,

thanks.

Guest AceUBC

I wrote my MCAT at BCIT a few years back and if it's the same setup, I think you'll find it actually quite a nice experience (as nice as writing the MCAT can be :P )

The building I wrote in was the newer IBM building, which was conveniently located close to parking. The tables we had were quite large, and the building temperatures were cool (air conditioned) - best to dress in layers I guess as people's personal preferences vary re: climate.

I have heard from friends that wrote at UBC that it was very "disorganized" during the morning registration (quite a few people writing combined with limited staff at UBC). I found the BCIT experience to be quite pleasant.

BTW - here is a link to a map of the BCIT campus: www.bcit.ca/files/about/bcitmap.pdf

(the IBM building is SE6).

Guest TKP 123

Hello,

Although I did not find that the UBC MCAT staff was unorganized, the rooms located in the Hebb buildings were not comfortable. Tables were shaky, washrooms were limited, absence of windows, etc...

I never have exams in BCIT, but if I were to have another MCAT, I would not suggest UBC when the tests were performed in Hebb building.

TKP

Guest nostalg

hmm, well I guess it's a good thing then that I got my 2nd choice!

I was going to try and change it, but after hearing what you guys had to say, I think I won't bother, and might even regret changing it!

Thanks so much.

It's one less thing to worry about

Guest notamedic

I wrote the MCAT at BCIT- a good place to write. There's fewer people and usually only one large room.

I wouldn't have wanted to experience "meeting at Brock Hall and then splitting off to different locations" after writing at BCIT.

Anyways, just work hard and the rest takes care of itself.

NAM

Guest docbil

I wrote the MCAT at McGill in 2000. (1st time).

BIGGEST MISTAKE.

The building and the tables were so old. The A/C did not work. The windows had to be open. The car passing just outside the classroom anoyed the @#%$ out of me.

On top of that the tables where shared by a 3-4 people. When one erased or wrote something.. the whole table shook. I was so frustrated and could not concentrate.

All of this because it was an old building/class/University.

I imagine UBC would be almost the same.. unless they do it in one of the new classrooms.

At UBC.. a faily new and isolated campus.. Surrounded by trees. I would guess it to be more relaxing and less distracting.

Oh just in case you are wondering. I got 6 on VR, 6 PS and 7 of BS. When I repeated in April 2004.. I did much better.

Archived