Premed 101 Forums

Full UBC Course load

Guest Josh21

Guest Josh21

Hello,

I am wondering what constitutes a full course load at ubc. I'm registered for 9 classes, but because of some 4 credit courses i'm taking i have 29 credits. Is it possible now to take a 1 or 2 credit course and have a full courseload? also, with the pre reqs, i have to take biol 121+140 and chem 121+123 in my first year?

thanks for your time.

Guest not rex morgan

It was always my impression that 30 credits was a full load, but 29 sounds close enough to me. They want to see that you can handle the work load of med school. As long as you're in 5 courses a semester (this may include a course that runs a year long, ie, you'll be in it two semesters of the year), you should be fine.

Guest scrubbed

I believe that you are one three or four credit course short of a full course load. Full course loads consists of ten 3 or more credit courses per year.

If you look at first year requirements for MBIM, a representative life science major:

Major (1153): Microbiology and Immunology

students.ubc.ca/calendar/...15,410,430

First Year

BIOL 112 3

BIOL 121, 140 5

CHEM 121, 123 (111, 113) 8

ENGL 100-level 6

MATH 100 or 102 or 104 ( or 180 or 184 or 120) 3(4)

MATH 101 or 103 or 105 (or 121) 3(4)

PHYS 6(3)

Electives 0(3)

Total Credits 34(36)

Thus, 29 credits is a course short.

Best wishes with your first year!

Guest osjx82

I always thought that a "full course load" was ten courses per term, with each course being at least 3 credits or higher. So 30 credits per session is the minimum number of credits that qualifies as a "full" load, while 29 or 28 is not.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Guest MedAnxiety

Hey everyone, i believe that you're considered a full-time student at UBC if you have atleast 24 credits...so 29 credits is more than enough. However, for scholarships, Dean's Honor List, Science Scholar recognition, you need at least 27 credits to be eligible. Here's a link: students.ubc.ca/calendar/...15,410,408 that might help you out a bit if you're still confused. Scroll down, and it'll tell you what is considered part-time.

With that said...most MD programs consider 30 UBC credits as full time, and most also require atleast 2 years of 30 UBC credits/winter session for you to be eligible to apply.

Hope this helps :)

Guest Marvin0123

Is this the same with courses at SFU if anyone knows about their system. Because at sfu, 15+ credits/semester seems like a lot, when you only get 2 credits for some chems, and labs.

Guest physiology

Hello,

As you all know - the system is screwed up now. In the past, 99% of courses were either 3 credits or 6 credits, with some occasional 1 credit lab-only courses.

Anyway - as you can imagine, some courses now are 4 credits when they used to be three (usually due to a lab component), and of course, the reason behind that are the nice dollar signs in the eyes of UBC bureaucracy :)

In general, a full course load is 5 courses per term, with lab-only courses NOT counting as one of those 5 courses. So at the end of the year, you should have 10 courses (10 half year courses or 5 full year ones, or a mix and match of half year and full-year courses).

Archived