Premed 101 Forums

Biochemistry or Integrated Science=possibility of high GPA?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Hello guys! As many of you guys probably know. I am in the crossroad of choosing a program that I will study for the next two very important years of my life in univeristy. My overall average at the moment is pretty bad (~78%). I will need to do well for the next 2 years in order to have a shot at professional school of my choice.

I have two options here: Biochemistry or Integrated Science. After reflecting back on my learning goals, I feel like I am equally interested in both programs, but I am unsure whether I will be really passionated about the materials until I study them. I wrote down the the pros and cons of each program and still couldn't decide which one offers more advantages and less disadvantages. So, I am at the point just going with a program that will potentially improve my GPA as much as possible. I know the difficulty of each course varies depending on the person. I am pretty good at memorizing and recalling information or performing calculation, but a bit weak at problem solving. That's something I will have to work on. I fall in a common category of students who panic when a curve ball is thrown on the the exams. I got B- in bio 121, B- in bio 112, B in bio 200, A- in bio 201, A- in chem 121, B+ in chem 123, C+ in chem 203, B in chem 204, A in chem 201, and B- in chem 202. As you can see, I did well in bio just as well as chem course overall.

Out of the courses listed below. Which program do you think in general will give me as high average as possible?

How is the difficulty of BIOC 302 compare to BIOC 303? Doing well in biochem course is important since it's a pre-req to many health professional schools.

Before someone may criticize my motive, I want to mention that I am not looking for an easy way out undergrad. I am just equally excited to go into either of these programs. Both program will allow me to pursue graduate study if necessary. I am just looking for advices of those who have been there and done that @ UBC. :D So any advices are welcome. Btw, I love this forum. It really helps my narrowing down my options. Thanks guys!:D

------------------------------------------------------------

Biochemistry:

3rd year term 1

1.5 BIOC 301 Biochemistry Laboratory

3 BIOC 303 Molecular Biochemistry

3 BIOL 334 Basic Genetics

4 CHEM 313 Advanced Organic Chemistry for the Life Sciences

3 CLST 301 The Technical Terms of Medicine and Biological Science

3rd year term 2

1.5 BIOC 301 Biochemistry Laboratory

3 BIOC 303 Molecular Biochemistry

3 BIOL 335 Molecular Genetics

3 CHEM 333 Spectroscopic Techniques in Organic Chemistry

3 STAT 200 Elementary Statistics for Applications

4th year term 1

3 BIOC 402 Proteins: Structure and Function

3 BIOC 403 Enzymology

3 CHEM 304 Fundamentals of Physical Chemistry

3 GERM 433 German for Reading Knowledge I

4th year term 2

3 CHEM 305 Biophysical Chemistry

3 BIOC 410 Nucleic Acids-Structure and Function

3 FNH 355 World Problems in Nutrition

3 ANAT 391 Introduction to Gross Human Anatomy

3 ENGL 321 English Grammar and Usage

------------------------------------------------------------

Integrated Science.:

3rd year term 1

3 FNH 350 Fundamentals of energy and macronutrient metabolism

3 BIOC 302 General Biochemistry

3 PHYL 301 Human Physiology

0.5 ISCI 300 Seminar

1 BIOL 204 Experimental Design in Life Science

3 ENGL 321 English Grammars and Usage

3rd year term 2

3 FNH 351 Vitamins, Minerals, and Health

3 PHYL 301 Human Physiology

3 ISCI 350 Darwin Medicine

3 ISCI 422 Models in Science

0.5 ISCI 300 Seminar

3 GERM 433 German for Reading Knowledge I

Summer

3 ISCI 448 Directed Studies

4th year term 1

3 FNH 451 Nutrient Metabolism and Implication for Health

3 BIOC 402 Protein: Structure and Function

3 BIOL 334 Basic Genetic

3 CLST 301 The Technical Terms of Medicine and Biological Science

4th year term 2

3 BIOL 336 Evolutionary Genetic

3 BIOL 450 Molecular Adaptation of Animals to the Environment

3 ANAT 391 Introduction to Gross Anatomy

3 FNH 355 World Problem in Nutrition

3 STAT 200 Elementary Statistics for application

Guest adduction

Smooth,

I know you said before anyone 'criticizes your motives' and all that spiel - but the best thing is to major in what you want to do. You shouldn't end up majoring in something because it gives you the highest GPA. Think about what you'd end up saying if the admissions committee in an interview asks why you chose what major you did.

In my opinion you should consider biochemistry and integrated sciences - weigh the pro's and con's of each and decide based on their merits alone. Sure the GPA is something to consider, but it seems like to me that's the only thing you're considering (for med school) and that's what I really think you should think twice about.

It's hard for anyone to also say which one you'd have an easier time in unless this one person did both a biochem and integrated sci degree w/ those courses. I think you should examine your interests before deciding rather than analyzing and predicting GPA...

Guest Jochi1543

I'm with adduction on this one. Pick the specialty you're most interested in and one that gives you the most Plan B, C, etc options if things don't work out, and just do it...you will work hard no matter which program you pick and I'm sure you will do well. Plus even if, as adduction said, someone here shows up and says he or she has taken both programs and one was easier....for all you know, that person could have different strengths and weaknesses from you. To illustrate, I recently went on RateMyProfessor.com to rate my chemistry professor. I wrote my little note that said "I breezed through the class while missing it at least 2x a week, as long as you do the reading and the practice problems, you'll have an A, don't even bother going to the lectures," and then proceeded to read other people's ratings. To my surprise, nearly EVERYONE had ratings saying things like "this professor is the worst I've ever had, the subject is extremely hard, I couldn't understand anything, barely got a C-!" Now, I was NOT a chem whiz in high school, so you can't say it's all about some natural talent I have. It's just that it seems that the class was structured to fit someone who is self-motivated and an independent learner, like me, and the diagrams in the book were easily comprehendable to me with my good background in geometry, but confusing and difficult to someone else.

Just to show you how different individual perspectives are.

smooth, im impressed your doing a lot more research on a program of choice than i ever did. for me, viruses and bacteria sounded interesting and went for microbiology. luckily for me, i dont regret that choice. i also made the most of out it rather than sulking on whether or not i hated the program.

Guest mitchie41

Hey Smooth:

In your post, you mention that both degrees will allow you to pursue graduate work afterwards. But are you sure that the ISCI program will give you enough background for graduate programs to accept you?

Yes, you'll have a BSc. at the end, but you haven't majored in anything. All you'll have are concentrations in different fields, and I don't know if that will be sufficient enough to get you into a graduate program.

For instance, I spoke to my math advisor about graduate school in mathematics, and he said that either you'll have to be an extremely good math undergrad with research experience, or you'll have to get an Honours degree with good marks. But of course, this is math and other faculties and programs will differ(ie. I know someone who did biology degree and was offered an MSc spot in Computer Science because he worked in the industry for a while), so you should contact them and ask.

Guest TKP 123

I second Mitchie for that.

If you want to go to grad school, a more specific program may help you tailor towards it.

I do see people with a BSc in biochem doing graduate studies in microbio, pathology, chem, biochem, etc...

It may be possible to do that with the intergrated science program, but you had better ask the advisors there about it.

Guest smooth operater

Thanks for the the comments. They are really helpful. I actually can do a graduated study with a integrated sci. degree since I can take a directed study course to do a research project with a professor. This is where I will learn more about lab techniques and gain some contacts with professors.

Guest Nicksinbc

Hi Smooth:

I am a huge fan of the Integrated Sciences Program because of the independence and variety that it affords. I chose to obtain my undergrad degree in ISCI and was able to tailor my degree according to my varied interests. I ended up integrating microbiology and genetics. I had a fabulous time because I was able to pursue the courses that intrigued me. Upon graduation I was immediately accepted into a pretty competitive graduate program and will be starting med school in the fall. I found that the critical thinking skills and breadth of experience that I obtained while in the ISCI program was well received by all my interviewers (grad school and med school). These skills also served me well when working towards my graduate degree.

I guess that you must be pretty tired of hearing this ...but you have to pursue what you are passsionate about. Follow your heart and reach for the stars...the rest will follow. The best advice I ever received as an undergrad was given to me ....strangely enough...by an ISCI prof. We were discussing how it is sometimes hard to make decisions especially with all the choices that are out there. He said "Make a decison and then make sure that it's the right one'.

Good luck!

Guest smooth operater

hey Nicks, what possible graduate program can you pursue with a Integrated Science degree? I am looking into Pathalogy and Medical genetic. They don't seem to have strict pre-reqs like some programs (i.e biochem). Are there other ones you can suggest?

I just want to make a decision and stick with it. I am just afraid that I may have trouble with ISCI courses since it probably require different methods of learning that I used to in traditional courses.

Guest Nicksinbc

You are right...ISCI courses are quite 'non-traditional' in their approach to learning but they are definitely managable. I like thinking 'outside the box'...so I loved it. Always challenge yourself..you may like it too. Besides ISCI allows for more flexibility and I found the right to pick my own courses according to my interests empowering.

I am definitely no expert on the particular assortment of grad programs that are available to you after graduating from the ISCI program. Look into what graduate programs interest you and then incorporate those pre-reqs into your course load. Hope that helps. Choosing a major is hard but don't overthink it. Pick what interests you and the grades will follow.

Guest smooth operater

yeah, thanks Nick for the reply. I heard the class average of the ISCI courses, model of science and darwaine medicine, are pretty high, ~80% since students there are to explore and make mistakes in order to learn. Is it true?

I just talked to my mentor ,John Gosline. He told me it's possible for me going into grad program that deals with nutrition, biochemistry, and human biology. But I am kinda worried that the difficulty of get in such a grad program and he can't help me too much. It seems most grad program perfer biochem students. :(

Archived