Premed 101 Forums

application status change

Guest breaker79

Guest breaker79

Hey everyone,

Well, i checked my application status this afternoon, and it changed from being wait-listed (OOP), to rejected after interview. I don't know how this happened. Aren't we supposed to stay on the waitlist until Aug 29? This really sucks, but if anybody knows what might have happened, I would really appreciate it.

Breaker

Guest TKP 123

It probably means that all 224 spots have been confirmed and everyone has paid the $300 deposit, claiming that they will be going to UBC.

I understand what you mean. A few years ago, I heard from someone who actually did not get into the class until the few days before class started.

If you want to be sure, call Admissions Office.

TKP.

Guest chushmy

I just checked my status and mine says the same thing!:| This doesn't make any sense. By the way have you accepted an offer at any other school? I'm just wondering if they took people off the list who have accepted elsewhere?

-chushmy

Guest cause2003

That's really weird guys. The office told me in an email some time ago that there were about 20 people on the OOP waitlist. Last year 17 OOP's came of the waitlist according to the stats posted on the UBC webpage. Maybe not many OOP's are giving up their spot this year? Strange. I don't know what to say. Please post if you get anymore info on what is going on.

-Cause

Guest uchiha itachi

Well, i think a lot of ppl complained that they were waitlisted for a whole summer without hearing from UBC. Hence, i think its wise that adcom is rejecting those who are unlikely to get activated off the waitlist now rather than later. This is coming from a person who got waitlisted twice for UBC |I

Guest cause2003

I still think it's strange for the OOPs since the list was so short already and people are still getting off the waitlist at Ontario schools.

-cause

Guest docbil

Ontario has ~700 spots. So people that apply to one school, also apply to some or all other schools. So I would guess that the waitlist moves. Someone choosing UofT over Queens etc..

BC has only one school and ~220 spots. Most applicants are BC applicants and most likely to accept BC Offers. Very few will apply out of province since most will prefer in province students.

My take on it.. but it could be wrong.

Guest chushmy

Hey Docibil,

Thanks for your insight. I would have to agree with you on the OOP scenario. However, I'm actually an in-province applicant so I don't understand why I was taken off the waitlist. Any ideas?:\

Guest adduction

Well again it could all go back to the fact that UBC has 224 students who have confirmed matriculation in August 2005, though I would have probably figured (for security measures)that they see if all 224 register before refusing waitlistees.

Did anyone find out or are we still speculating?

Guest chushmy

I think you're right about all the seats being confirmed now. I guess they didn't feel the need to keep people on the waitlist anymore....or they just kept a few.

Archived