Premed 101 Forums

Courses and Scheduel?

Guest Crazypremed

Guest Crazypremed

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if you knew the courses we had to take for first year med at UBC and their difficulty levels. Also, do we have classes everyday and how long are the days usually?

Thanks

Crazypremed

Guest physiology

Hello,

Sept - Dec - A course called Principles of Human Biology takes place. It's a general review of genetics, body fluids, cancer, immunology. It sets you up well for the organ-based curriculum starting in January. It includes histology and gross anatomy.

You also have communication skills/clinical skills, family practice, and DPAS that run longitudinally (year-round).

Then starting in January - you get 5 weeks each of 1) HDI (microbiology), cardiovascular, pulmonary, and fluids/electrolytes/renal.

The clinical skills course begins to focus around these blocks as well. That is, you'll be doing cardiovascular clinical skills during the cardiovascular block, etc.

As for difficulty - there's a lot of material, but I wouldn't say the material is difficult per se. We've written several tests already and it doesn't feel as if they're out to "get us" or deliberately make us fail or curve the average around 70% or whatever.

Guest adduction

Hey,

I'm sure this will all be explained in the registration package that will be mailed out by the end of June...but what do we need to register in for first yr med? Just the STT? or individual courses as well?

Guest AceUBC

Just wondering what the typical week looks like in terms of time?

Are we in class M-F, 8am-5pm?

Any current meds that can provide info?

TIA

Guest mysticalbc

When you click on STT on the UBC website, it shows that the classes start at 8am mon-thurs, but there is no class on fridays... does that mean we have fridays off ?

Below is an example of a type of week that you will have. It's a sample of a week from this year. The general structure is the same from week to week (mon-wed-fri pbl 8-10, lecture 10-12, dpas wed afternoon, etc.) but each week's slightly different. For example, you may have a histology lab one week, a path lab the next, and nothing the following week.

Monday: pbl 8-10; lecture 10-11 & 11-12, afternoon off

Tuesday: lecture 9-10, 10-12 histology lab, 1-5:00 family practice in the community

Wednesday: same morning as monday, dpas plenary 1-2:30, dpas tutorial 2:30-4

Thursday: Independent study, 1-4:30 clinical skills

Friday: pbl 8-10, lecture 10-11, case wrap-up 11-12, pathology lecture 1-2, pathology tutorial 2-4

Again, this is just one example of a week. Each will be slightly different.

Guest TKP 123

hello, for the academic courses, does that mean there are 3 courses: anatomy, histology, and pathology? I guess I still haven't familarized myself with the breakdown of these courses during the first year.

Guest chocolatechips

The schedule in medicine is a bit different from undergrad. It actually differs weekly and varies between blocks (instead of set schedule per course). Histology, Anatomy and Patholology are all part of a block and they all have lab components. So...For example:

Block = HDI (Host Defense Immunity)

Block lecture (including histo, anat and path) = MWFx 2hrs/day

Lab = ramdom depends on schedule...mostly on Tue and Thu

PBL = MWFx 2hrs/day

In addition to the block stuff, you can have longitudinal classes such as DPAS, clinical skill, and family practice that run throughout the year. (These course are more like undergrad classes that have set schedule weekly.)

So...basically, the schedule is different EACH WEEK and you will have check on MEDICOL (medical student website) to get the exact schedule.

hum....did I confuse everyone??

Archived