Premed 101 Forums

Is there any way to request an exemption from Pre-req?

Guest docbil

Guest docbil

Is there any way to request an exemption from Pre-req?

Especially Biochemistry.

Do you think with a MSc and PhD, is there anyway to get exempted from this class, before applying to UBC next year?

Has anyone heard of this happening before.

THanks

docbil

Guest TKP 123

If the courses that you want to exempt were taken 10 years ago, you could exempt them. However, keep in mind that if you exempt a certain course, all other courses taken that year would not be used at all. In other words, you cannot selectively exempt courses with low marks.

Guest docbil

Thanks for your reply.

I mean to apply to UBC with one pre-req not completed.

I know about the 10 year / course exemption... I can now use it for my first horible year in 94-95. Man I am getting up there.

thanks

Guest moxiekat

I was missing half a biochem pre-requisite for application this year. I spent the fall/winter travelling through Asia and volunteering for a landmine foundation. I tried to get an exemption for this course so I could do my volunteering, and then perhaps make it up in the summer. There was absolutely no budging whatsoever from the admissions office. I came home early and ended up taking the course through a online distance studies university out of Alberta that the office suggested to me. Maybe you will have better luck than me, but I simply could find no way to get an exemption.

Guest docbil

moxiekat,

thanks for the info... did they accept the online course from alberta. Which course is it and which institution. I don't mind doing it online.

Guest moxiekat

Hey docbil,

UBC admissions did accept the course - in fact, they suggested it. The course is Cell Biology 401, but they recognize it as a half biochemistry course. I'd recommend you call to confirm, just in case, but it worked for me this year:D . I took the course through Athabasca University at http://www.athabascau.com. Distance studies certainly brought out my procrastinating side, but it really wasn't too bad of a course. 6 months is allotted to complete the course, but I had no problem finishing it within 3. Good luck!

Guest canuck1

Docbil,

If you need 6 credits of Biochem, UBC will take a combination of Chem 301 and Biol 401 from Athabasca. I took both of these and know of a couple of other people who have done the same. Double check with Admissions though...

Guest canuck1

I'm not sure what UBC is like for the upper level science classes (I also took my organics though Athabasca), but if I had to guess, I think it might be a little easier. As Moxie noted, the potential to procrastinate is definitely there. I wasn't a big fan of how Chem 301 was organized though...

Guest BandaBoarder

Just to add on,

I took Chem 301 through Athabasca last year and I think it's a great way to go. It was much easier than my other 1/2 course in BCEM so it was a great pre-req booster. I completed the course (no lab) within a month while working full time so it's really practical to do even if you have a lot going on!

As for how it's organized, it didn't bug me.

Take care,

Banda

Guest docbil

Thanks guys for all the info. I will definitely take this route.

Anyone still have the textbook? If there is one? Are you willing to sell it or is it included in the price of course. Thanks Again.

Guest canuck1

The books are included in the course fee.

I didn't mean that the course was poorly organized, it's just not as well done as the Organics and Biol 401. Nothing that should deter you...

These courses are great if you can't attend regular classes. Like BandaBoarder, I also was able to do one of them in a month while working full-time.

Guest docbil

That is excellent. I did not want to get special treatment. Just could not attend them regularly with my timetable these days. Research doesn't keep hours.

I will take this route.

If I already have Cell Biology at Graduate level. Do you think they would accept that in place of Bio401 distance.

I will email them.

docbill

Guest canuck1

I'm not sure about the grad level class, but it's definitely worth asking. If they let you pick one of Chem 301 or Biol 401, I enjoyed 401 more (Although another person I know of that took them liked the Chem better). Biol has an essay, whereas Chem has assignments. The course outlines are online:

www.athabascau.ca/course/ug_subject/

When you register online, just check off that you've completed all the prereqs (i.e. Org Chem). You don't need to send in transcripts or anything to show that you've done them.

Archived