Premed 101 Forums

Advice for 1st year student.

Guest paradoxbox

Guest paradoxbox

Hi all. A little background:

I started my first year at uni in January of this year. I took 3 courses- things were going pretty well until a massive housing problem cropped up near the end. I wound up relocating about 2 1/2 hours away from my campus and they wouldn't let me switch to the campus I live closer to now (They have 3 satellite campuses). There was no chance I was gonna commute that far every day (I had classes every day, kinda @#%$ schedule). The end result? One C+, a D and an F.

Pretty grim. Right now I'm taking 2 summer courses at a different campus, so far I have an A and a B+.

I've been doing some calculating and it's looking like I'm gonna have to get straight A's for the next several semesters just to get my GPA to 3.6. This is not encouraging.

From what I understand, some medschools don't count summer courses either. This could work for or against me, depending on whether or not the same schools count academic years with less than 5 courses taken. I'd happily wait 4 more months for the new academic year to start just to wipe this misery from my record.

So tell me guys, just how screwed am I? I have made a comittment to get the best marks I possibly can, so I don't expect I'll ever get a mark worse than a B or B+ in the near future. But is the damage I've already done too great, is it going to cause me serious problems with my applications even if I keep 'flying right'?

The hope is to go to UBC Med, but understandably I'm not going to be too picky about who I choose due to my incredible self destruction in my first semester.

Appreciate any help..

Guest adduction

Hey paradoxbox,

I don't want to say that the 'damage is done' because it really hasn't. You do need to improve from your first semester's marks and it appears that you're on the right track judging from your second semseter's performance. It is true that some med schools do not consider summer courses in the calculation of GPA - though the second part of the clause is UNLESS it's a pre-requisite course. You might want to consider that if you think it can help you boost your GPA.

There are also lots of 'GPA booster' electives/courses out there that you really can get a 90% in if you're committed to it, which I am sure you are. Research some of these booster courses though don't go insanely heavy on them. There's a thread started about easy UBC first yr courses so have a ball looking through that...again with moderation.

UBC does not use a GPA system, only a % system. If you get straight A's during second year and straight A's through third year (or even with the occasional B+), your last 60 credits will not include your first year's marks and will be higher! Work hard on your pre-requisites (first yr chem, biol, english, second yr organic, 3rd yr biochem...) to get maybe an average A- overall in your pre-requisite GPA. Set your sights for cumulative GPA being higher than 78% and then I don't think academically you'd have a problem with UBC. I have a friend that got interviewed with a 79% average and then was accepted this year. But if you can get higher, great!!

I don't like to condone excuses either, but it sounds to me like you have a legitimate reason for getting that C+, D, and an F. (The moving aspect, not the #Y%@ schedule aspect). Applications do usually have a field allowing you to explain a poor academic year...but again no one, especially the adcomm likes to see excuses. It's up to you whether you think this entirely caused your decline or if it played a minute role.

Finally, if in one semester, your VERY first semester of university (where nothing is certain and students are struggling to cope with meeting university expectations) you had a poor GPA - that doesn't say a whole lot - many students have academic struggles in this period. What will speak volumes however is if you can shoot your GPA up from now on. All A's, or mostly A's and some B+'s will really show the adcomm how dedicated you are, and how - yes you had a bit of a slump, but you grew from it and 2nd and 3rd yr are a testament of your real potential.

My two cents. Anyone else feel free to comment....

Best of luck paradox.

Guest paradoxbox

Thank you very much for your input. I will continue you apply myself to my studies.

None of the courses I've taken this semester are medical school prereqs, they're just arts courses (I am doing an arts degree).

I don't think we have a pre med advisor at my university, but I'll make a note to call around and get any information I can regarding summer courses counting towards medschool application.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Archived