Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Preference

Guest farmfreshdroppings

Guest farmfreshdroppings

Curious,

For those of you who have interviewed at multiple schools, which school would you like to go to and why?

farmfresh

Guest sn0w0wl

I interviewed at Calgary and UBC. I'd probably choose UBC (IMP) as my first choice as I plan on living permanently on Vancouver Island (I'm a BC resident). Though I must say I was impressed by the students at Calgary, and it seems like a good program; I'm just worried about opportunities for my sig. other and that the 3 yr program may not give me enough time to decide on a residency choice (I'm pretty open right now).

Guest Tousie

I have interviews at UBC and McMaster. UBC (or at least IMP) would be my first choice, also because of my sig. other. However, the concept of turning down a school seems so insane to me... I just want to get accepted! Anywhere!!!:b

That said, both schools, both programs and both groups of current med students have really impressed me, so I think I would be really happy at either!

Tousie

• 1 year later...
Guest adduction

Hey everyone

I actually have a question in my answer for you guys. Please give me your two cents if you have any ;)

I was interviewed at UBC Med and U of A Med. I was waitlisted at UBC Med (May 13) and accepted at U of A Med (June 2). My wait list at UBC cleared (June 7)!

So now I'm trying to decide between UBC and U of A but I think I'm leaning towards vancouver.

My question is ... is there an advantage in goign to a school you were immediately accepted in? (U of A) vs a school that wait listed you? (UBC). I mean...does the INCOMING class rank have any bearing on anything? If I was waitlisted at UBC I'm obviously near the bottom in terms of application rank so if that's factored in - say in residency selection it may influence my decision.

Anyway let me know, and congrats to all the acceptees out there!!!

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

Congrats on your acceptances! :)

FYI, your acceptance off the waitlist has absolutely NO bearing on your residency chances; that sort of information is not included in your residency application and residency program director have no ability to access that sort of information.

Also, just because you got in off the waitlist doesn't mean anything; many of my classmates who I considered to be the strongest folks in our class came in off the waitlist. Most people you have no idea where they were in application cycle at the time of their acceptance, unless they volunteer that information to you. It literally isn't possible to notice who those people are in class (it's amazing how "equally qualified" everyone is once you start meeting your med school classmates; they're ALL amazing!).

The only important thing to decide for you is which school fits you best and where you think you'll be able to perform the strongest and where you'll be happiest. :)

Ian

Guest brunchrunner

hey there adduction,

I also had the awesome luxury of choosing between going to UBC or the U of A. And, like you, I made the decision to go to UBC:D :D :D Like you said UBC class of 2009 baby!!!! :D

Archived