Premed 101 Forums

choosing undergrad

Guest TKP 123

Guest TKP 123

Hello,

After seeing the threads below talking about which "premed" program is good, I just want to start a new thread discussing about choosing an undergrad. I think in additional to talking about which undergrad program is good for medicine, it is also important to consider the job market (besides medicine) after graduation. For e.g. would it be easier to find a job with physiology degree than a pharmacology or biochemistry degree? Is there a Co-op program involved? Something like that is good to consider, so that you have a backup plan right after graduation, especially it is not that easy to get into medicine these days.

TKP

Guest smooth operater

Even though I am in Science and would like to learn more about research, I don't see that I will do it as a career. If I don't get into professional schools, I will teach english oversea and find myself another career (i.e translator). I just can't see myself working in the lab for long hour and pumping out killer thesis.

Anyone out there would perfer doing something that's realted to their degree if med schools don't work out?

Guest TKP 123

The way I see it is that for most work, you will feel bored after working for a long time. Research can be one of them if you are not learning new things from there.

So, I guess the point is that you want some kind of work which constantly allows you to learn, and I guess being a medical doctor allows you to do that.

Guest Procuitto

In that case, Smoothoperator, why don't you do an english degree, a communications degree, or some other arts degree in a topic that will take you to these other careers that you are considering instead of medicine. You will be studying topics that interest you and because it's arts (I hope I don't get jumped on for this one and I certainly don't mean to offend anyone! :) ) your GPA will likely be higher. Not that the arts are easier I'm not commenting on that, but you certainly are less likely to get killed by weeder courses or just plain difficult courses that are offered in science. And, if you take the pre-reqs you need for arts, you'll still be ready for med!

In fact, I know of an arts major that got into UBC this year so it just goes to show!!! Do what ultimately interests you and don't put all your eggs in one basket just for meds.....you'll end up less well-rounded than you might be otherwise! :)

Best wishes on your undergrad,

Proscuitto

Guest smooth operater

Personally, english has never been my strongest subject since it is not my mother language. So I probably will do worse in Art instead of Science. Plus, I still have interests in some areas of Science, but not as passionated that I want to dedicated my life to. I plan to teach/tutor english oversea, probably back in my home country. It helps to have an art degree, but it's not necessary to teach english oversea.

Guest AssDr

Just wanted to add my two cents. Basically it doesn't matter what you do your undergrad in. I have known engineers, business and fine arts grads that have gotten into med. Basically as long as you have your med application pre-reqs, thats all that matters. I agree you should do something that interests you and you will be able to find work in when you are done in case you fail to get into med. You don't want to be one of those that plans their whole life surrounding being a doctor, and apply year after year only to be rejected. Some people aren't meant to be doctors no matter what they think. So do something you know you can fall back on and enjoy. If microbiology, genetics, pharmacology (or any other so called popular pre-med programs) doesn't interest you, and you are only doing it for med school application, then I'd consider switching programs if I were you. Answering that you took any of these programs because you wanted to get into med at an interview isn't a good answer. Anyways hope that helps. Cheers

Archived