Premed 101 Forums

"Demonstrated Rural Experience / Interest"

Guest Apraxis

Guest Apraxis

Hi All -

I hope no one's going to jump down my throat for asking about this, but I'm curious as to what constitutes "demonstrated rural experience / interest". First, here's my situation:

I have 2 undergrad degrees (B.Sc. / B.A.). I received a gold medal in my second degree, and by NOMS calculations, would have a GPA of 3.99 / 4.00. I am an out-of-province student who has interest in applying to NOMS.

Essentially, I haven't had many rural / northern experiences (none, actually), as I've been tied down to my family for the last 20 years or so. Some of my family members haven't been in the best of health, which has restricted my geography greatly. I do have a number of volunteer experiences, some spanning several years; just not rural / northern ones. I am interested in living in a rural community, largely because I don't particularly care for large cities.

I am working as a research assistant at a university over the summer, but would like to undertake some rural / northern volunteer work here and there, if possible. Does anyone have suggestions as to what kinds of experiences would be helpful (e.g. hospice)? Secondly, what are your thoughts on how adcoms perceive an applicant's undertaking volunteer work relevant to a particular school a mere few months prior to application? I appreciate that there is little I can do, so I ask this not because I have a penchant for redundant questions, but simply because I can only spend the time I have from here onwards constructively; if that involves doing some rural / northern volunteer work here and there, then so be it.

Guest acarpent1

If it's what you want to do, just do it. If you can get northern/rural exposure/experience this summer, then by all means DO it. I know of a program where you can go up to Iqaluit for 8 months and teach etc, and it's basically volunteer (they provide housing, clothes, food, and a very small allowance, but you aren't payed), if you don't have a plan for the upcoming year, maybe something like that could help. Whatever you do though, make sure you try to get into NOSM if NOSM is what you want. That will come through, and although northern/rural experience is a HUGE bonus, it is also something that can be developed if you do have to try a few times. GO for it! This life is short.

Guest kingrad

im heading up to teach high school science on a northern ontario native reserve for this year. i have a teaching degree....but these places are desperate for teachers and u might not even need a B Ed. to teach.....id look into what acarpent1 suggested if that can work for you.

• 1 month later...
I know of a program where you can go up to Iqaluit for 8 months and teach etc, and it's basically volunteer (they provide housing, clothes, food, and a very small allowance, but you aren't payed), if you don't have a plan for the upcoming year, maybe something like that could help.

acarpent1, would you mind elaborating on this (through what organization, etc.)? While I am not looking to apply to NOSM or even practice rural medicine, this sounds like exactly the type of thing I've been wanting to do.

Does anyone know of any organizations that will allow for a short rural volunteer placement (ie. 2weeks to a couple months). I would like to either teach or tutor in a rural (possibly native american) community. Does anyone know of any organizations I can contact?

Also, how many northern/rural volunteer experience do you think one needs to be competitive at NOSM? (or how many hours?) Perhaps those who got in can elaborate on their northern/rural volunteer experiences?

Thanks for your help!:)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived