Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Update

Guest klansdell

Guest klansdell

Hi all,

I was tallking to the director of admissions today. As of this past Monday's update I moved from #6 to #3. The reason they have been able to start to move the waitlist prior to today's second round deadline is due to people contacting them personally rather than just OMSAS and indicating their intention to not go to NOSM.

Also, as previosly posted in this forum, the process for accepting is to contact OMSAS not NOSM. The director told me today that they won't recieve final notice of how many of the second round offers turned down NOSM from OMSAS (other than those who also contacted NOSM already) until some time on Friday. She said that meant that there would likely be no more offers extended until sometime either friday afternoon or Monday.

She also told me that they had a total of 3 provisional acceptances that had still not become firm acceptances. She said however, that last year they had several firm acceptances turn down admission due to being accepted to an out of province medical school. Thus, the waitlist will remain open until the first day of classes. (there was someone who accepted last year during orientation week - YIKES!!!).

Finally, the director told me that if I was offered admission it would be to the Thunder Bay Campus and transfer to the Sudbury campus would be unlikely due to there being a lengthy transfer waiting list to Sudbury all ready.

I hope this helps all of you who are anxiously awaiting more word.

Kyle

Guest Kidha

So out of the 56 first rounders only 3 provisionally accepted? The rest (minus the 14 who rejected) all went firm acceptance? That's insane! Now i'm worried :(

Guest element98

Just wanted the opinion of others on this board as to how much further the waitlist will move (if at all) until the final 56 for the class is set. I just want to know if i should start to pursue other options at this point if i do not have a realistic shot at getting a letter of acceptance.

Guest Kidha

Hey Element!

Well I called the school today and tried to see what I can find out. I know there have been rumours on this board that NOSM had so many rejections/or turn downs..etc. However, that is not true as most of us know. The school told me today that it seems very similar to last year. I would think that the waitlist is going to go maybe another 7-10 people at the most. So if you are much higher than that on the waitlist at this point it would be very difficult. I fall above this range and not expecting an offer.

3 provisionals are being waited on which is the real kicker cause that's where I was hoping to make the ground close to the end. The three that have not accepted/declined I believe have given an answer to OMSAS. Most likely I think that OMSAS has not gotten to NOSM yet. With even all 6 saying No and maybe a firm accepting elsewhere (home province), and some off the waitlist still going elsewhere it will be about 10 more people.

I hope you fall in the range and good luck.

Guest fingerscrossed06

I am not too optimistic right now. Kidha you think it could be up to another 10? I'm only a tiny bit above that number, but I think its the end for me. I guess there is next year. Good luck to everyone still low on the list!

Guest acarpent1

klansdell!

I am JACKED for you!! You must be in now right??? My brother said that you were waitlisted @ Ottawa as well right?? Let us know!!

Congrats & Good luck!!

A.

Guest klansdell

Actually,

the weekly notice that I last recieved on June 12 put me at number 2 on the waitlist. So I'm getting closer but still not in yet. Does anyone know when the deadline for the 3 outstanding offers of admission are?

K.

Guest LindaMed

On July 3rd, all provisional acceptances become firm- so there should be a move in the waitlist then (ie. if ppl are provisional at NOSM plus another school, and they firmly accept the other school beofre July 3rd)

Good luck!

LindaMed

Guest klansdell

I spoke with Tracy, the manager of admissions today.

She confirmed my #1 ranking on the waitlist. She told me that all three of the offers that were outstanding as of last monday's update have responded. Two of them accepted. As such, there is a new offer of admission outstanding that has a week to respond.

So our chances lie in this one person turning down the offer, the three provisional offers due July 3rd, and any firm acceptance drop offs.

K.

Guest klansdell

Well Today it happened.

I got an offer for acceptance! I'm very psyched!

I'm not sure whether it was due to the newly offered individual turning down the offer of admission or if one of the provisional offers removed himself.

There are still a lot of opportunities and time for more people to be offered acceptance, So keep your heads up. Even to be waitlisted is a admirable achievement. Don't give up guys if you don't get in this year. There are many well qualified people who are overlooked every year (as was my fate last year)

Best Regards,

K.

Hey Klansdell,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!...that's awesome news

do you mind me asking what position were you on the initial waitlist (when the waitlist numbers were first given out)?

trying to play the numbers...

Archived