Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Rank

Guest spuba

Guest spuba

Hey everyone,

Congrats to those who were accepted at NOSM. I just wanted to let everyone know that the rank for waitlist has been emailed.

Enjoy,

Good luck,

Smiles!! :D

Guest Filledunord

oh congrats Anna! You'll definitely get in...it's the 15 and higher that have to worry a bit...and 25 and up that have to worry alot.

have you heard anything from Isoceles?!!

Guest Kidha

They waitlisted something like 80 people this year. Last year it got to about 25-28 from what I hear and they waitlisted 56. Are the anticipating something crazy this year? Lol. Let's hope so, I'm up there.

Guest Anna

They waitlisted 86...the reason I believe is because all the other Ontario schools had an increase in the number of spots they had...so more candidates offered admission to NOSM can potentially get pulled to other schools.

Fille: no I havent heard a word from Isoceles....im worried :(

Anna

Guest avarrin2001

Congratulations Anna! :eek

Top 10 is awesome!! I hope your wait is short... i know every day will feel like forever, but it will just make the victory that much sweeter in the end ;)

Guest spidey077

ok, i had to get back to reality for a while, so i left that waitlist rank letter sitting in my inbox for days....

...i opened it today

ok...all i have to say is 86 waitlisted people for 56 spots...

does that seem excessive to anyone?? is it every realistic that anyone over say...20 will be admitted.

so much for the hope of a waitlist panning out.....

Guest Kidha

Well it does seem kinda over the top to waitlist that many people. However, take queens as an example. They use to waitlist 100 and accept 100. In the past few years they have finished and almost finished the waitlist. Well last year NOSm did not move that much and there are numerous reasons why. I think though that NOSM seemed more gpa based this year.

I don't know why, but last year I didn't waitlist and this year I did. Nothing has changed on my application except the interview score. Last year I was told that my interview was very good and there wouldn't be much to improve it, and all i could hope for was a repeat result on the interview this year.

Guest MacPT

congrats to all

Before May 15 I did some investigation (i'm a green, some will know what that means). This is how I have explained waitlists to myself:

A med school will offer a seat to a waitlisted applicant for every offer that is declined.

over the past 3-5 years approximately 40% of Ontario Medical school offers were declined. i.e if the school has 100 seats then approximately 40 offers were declinced. However, the variance is large within schools, across years and between schools. The numbers that I remember were anywhere between 10% declined and 65% declined.

so... I would guess that if you are in the top 25 NOSM waitlist then you will probably get an offer.

Good luck to all.

Cheers!

Guest spidey077

more analysis...

...you also have to factor in those waitlisted people who get accepted elsewhere, and hence will be removed form the waitlist...

;)

Guest Filledunord

In terms of NOSM having a ridiculously long waitlist in comparison to the amount of seats they offer, I have to add that they also offer a ridiculous amount of INTERVIEWs (400!) for only 56 spots...

I'd rather they just interviewed say, 200 or so and at least your chances of acceptance are more realistic (especially after having to pay to go to the interview, etc).

I think I was only interviewed because of my NO and francophone status, but someone said GPA was a bigger factor this year (and mine is dismal). What was the point in me being interviewed?!!!

sorry...I'll stop ranting. I'm in the bitter phase of accepting my rejection :P

Guest spidey077

thats ok filledunord.

you're entitled to be bitter. I feel the same way..

...but unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it...

I guess that getting as far as we did with ~2100 application, that was a feat in itself.

best of luck to you.

Guest peachy
In terms of NOSM having a ridiculously long waitlist in comparison to the amount of seats they offer, I have to add that they also offer a ridiculous amount of INTERVIEWs (400!) for only 56 spots...
Perhaps they expect that in the first few years that NOSM is in existence students may be more likely to choose more established schools on average, and so they want to make extra-sure that they won't run through the whole waiting list.

Guest Kidha

Hey Fille!

I was only guessing when i said I "think" they took gpa to be more this year. I will agree with that there are tooo many interviews. Some non-NOs were arguing that point as well this year in regards to their chances not being from there and the costs of going there to interview. But if you want it that's what you gotta do......hope we aren't being used to drive the economies in sudbury and tbay during interview weekends :P

Reflecting on last years results I don't think NOSM will have any problems filling seats this year. Perhaps in a few years once they get a feel for applications and how many seats are accepted they will cut back on the interviews.

Archived