Premed 101 Forums

References Contacted!!!???!!!

Guest sandy apple

Guest kingrad

why.....were yours contacted??? that would be a clue they are interested....but i was under the impression that they probabably wouldnt contact them.

now im curious.

Guest sandy apple

Yeah, I got a call this morning from my coach saying she had just gotten off the phone with NOSM. She was also a verifier. Not sure what to think... :o

Guest NurseNathalie

I don't recall any of my referees last year getting a call- but um.. I never asked! :P

As far as I'm concerned- that would be good news... at least you didn't get into the 'defenitely NOT' pilee(I'm assuming they wouldn't waste their time checking the references if you were definetely OFF the potential list).

Good luck! reading all these posts is like a flash-back to last year! hang in there...

Guest Axolotl

Hello,

I didn't really ask any of my verifiers if they were contacted last year. But I know that they did contact verifiers for many of the other NOSM students.

Guest acarpent1

That is DEFINATELY a good sign!! I had heard that for people that they were interested in, they'd contact verifiers for the things that would significantly affect your acceptance if falsified.. Sandy.. if I were you, I'd be JACKED. .. but that's just me...

anyone else hear about verifiers being contacted??

Guest Souvenir de Mauve

Hi acarpent1,

One of my verifiers was contacted this tuesday. It was regarding scholarships and awards I had won out of highschool.

I have no idea what it may or may not mean, I'm just trying to keep sane until Monday. :)

Good luck to everyone.

Guest Kidha

None of mine were contacted from what I know. I don't know if that really means anything to tell you the truth. But I would think that if thye are contacted people this late in the game, (when i believe they have already made a decision) then it is probably a good sign. Why would they bother contacting verifiers of those that are out of the running.....i think they know who is in or out at this point. I say your in...LOL. best of luck!

Guest KerriD

I'm guessing that nobody has received notice of their 3 references being contacted then? I haven't, but I just wondered if they did that or if it was more the verifiers for extra curricular activities that they were interested in. I've told myself that it's just not practical to spend the day calling the long list of my verifiers to see if they've been contacted! lol. I'll just have to wait until Monday. :)

Guest Matt66GT

I've learned that NOSM has talked to at least 2 people I had listed as verifiers...

They were short cCalls about specific activities I listed in my sketch and they were earlier this week.

Without going through a big long thing, from my follow-up discussion after last year I think this is good news. As mentioned in a previous post - at least your stilll in the race with a few days to go.

As if the time isn't dragging already?

I kinda wish I didn't find out about it.:rollin

Guest sandy apple

Tell me about it! Now I am on even higher alert - really didn't think that was possible:eek !! Come on Monday!!!

Guest mauved

I'm just wondering then... should you assume that you haven't gotten an acceptance or a waiti list spot if none of your verifieers were contacted?

I guess many of my verifiers go a long long way back since I am an older student, but like I said, none of them have been called...sigh... this is way harder than I thought it would be... it is good to read all the responses though, it makes me feel like I am not alone waiting!!

Best of luck to all, m.

Guest sandy apple

M, NO! From last years posts it seems that only some people had verifiers contacted. Don't get discouraged! Monday is almost here...

Guest KerriD

O.k. what about references? Do you think NOSM would have contacted a reference prior to our interviews to ensure our application was truthful or only for the ones they were interested in after the interview? I just wonder if they do any verifying with the 400 potential applicants. My reference can't remember when she was contacted and she said it was awhile ago. At least she was contacted, I guess. I really am going to go and do something to distract myself now!:P

Guest mauved

Thanks Sandy, for the words of encouragement:) those are alwys good!

and Filledunord... I read your posts because they are full of emotion and often mirror exactly what I am feeling:) I am also getting more discouraged and have opted to get away for the weekend with some friends and my family to try and turn my attention away from this waiting... and now with the lack of calls to my verifiers, it is getting sort of really hopeless LOL...SO I am focusing on my family and my life and there is ALWAYS next year...and whatever we did not do "right" this year, we'll do better the next... and in the end, you are your own special, unique human being who will be making contributions to the world no matter what you do. And that's the truth.

m.

P.S> and it's not over YET!!!! It's only the 12th...

Guest Matt66GT

I asked about the 3 reference letters last year in my phone f/u with Dr. Konkin and I was told that they'll use the written letter internally to determine ordering of the class and waitlist, and they would call to clarify anything having already been written.

That said I have no idea if that is how things shook out this year.

As far as contacting verifiers, it's been mentioned above as something that happened to this year's class so I hope that's good news.....I know I was excited when I found out !!!

After thinking about it though, I would say I feel guardedly optimistic and confident with Monday looming like a freight train.

I think as NurseNat points out rather poignantly it doesn't mean anything other than you're likely not in the ABSOLUTELY NOT pile.

Guest Isoceles

yeesh...

this is totally freaking me out!

AND, I just found out I won't be home until around 8:00 Monday night...

AARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! :eek

Guest popcorn girl

have checked with a few people i have neither been verified or reference checked. plan b here i go...a shame i really liked nosm- the program, the people i met, and thought it was the right program for me. oh well.

Guest lolaloo

I checked with my references and they have not been contacted either. I decided to get in touch with a student at NOSM. I was glad to hear that she did not have any of her references/verifiers checked and she was accepted last year.

Perhaps it changed this year and only ppl who are accepted are getting checked. Or maybe it is just random.

Argggg, I am not sure what is worse... knowing the outcome or being ignorant about the whole thing.

Anyways, good luck to everyone :)

Guest KerriD

or mayble ppl who they aren't certain about are getting checked. I guess we can't speculate, we just have to wait a bit longer and try to maintain sanity. :)

Guest acarpent1

haha, Mauved, I LOVED your post! We all DO ROCK.. and it 'aint ova till it's OVA! haha.. I know that there ARE people in the class who's references were not checked..

I don't get it about the three reference letters though.. how are they used??

FILLE-- DONT get down on yourself.. I had that feeling too after reading about the people with checked verifiers, and while I think they should be EXTREMELY excited, not having them checked does NOT mean that you're out!!

Guest Kidha

Popcorn girl.....unless you can see the future you shouldn't give up hope so easy. Yah i wish my verifer was contacted too.

I know roughly what my chances are and I know that they aren't that high. Why do I say this? Well last year they told me that my GPA was high, interview was very good, x curricular was v good and I didn't even waitlist (so really nothing negative was said). Note that I am not from NO. I am still not from NO! So nothing is really different in my application. Last year I was told that the best thing I could do to get in was to move to NO for three years.

That being said MOnday looks grim, but the hope is alive. Maybe this year the social/political pressures that was cited in my telephone interview have eased up this year so they might be a bit more even scoring. I don't really know.

But lets all have a wicked weekend. Stay busy! Good luck to all. We'll see what happens monday and regardless, we'll all deal with it one way or another. I might vent to the school this year...lol. All the best and thanks to those that have been supportive.

Guest Filledunord

Thanks for the encouragement kids...as you can see, I'm one of those depressive realists who tends to look at the odds, and make my assumptions in a methodological manner (ie., without a glint of hope).

I've got the fact that I'm a francophone, lived in NO for 19 years, research experience and some good and lengthy xtra curriculars on my side, but unfortunately, my GPA is dismal (as far as med school goes), and I don't know that the interview went that well (but then, who can tell!!!)

Anyway...good thing some friends are in town who are entertaining house guests and enjoy the bevvies, 'cause I may need them to cope this weekend! :P

Guest Matt66GT

COME ON FOLKS !!!!!

As the week has worn on I've started to feel like the glimmer of hope is fading in some of you fellow ezboarders....

Like Yogi says - it ain't over til it's over. We'll all know in about 60 hrs or so....:rollin

If you were selected to interview you've shown NOSM on paper that your medical school material, otherwise they wouldn't have wasted an interview spot on you. From what I can tell, nearly everyone who's posted on here has shown that they have what it takes. What a challenge to change the lives of 56 people out of the 400 previously qualified individuals.

I've talked to dozens of doctors regarding the admissions process in general and their reactions are astounding. Some of the best docs around were admitted on their 4th or 5th try without really changing their application - how do you go from no interview anywhere one year to acceptance at 3 schools the next? In general it is SOOO hard, b/c you have no idea how 4 yrs of med school will change someone. I heard a suggestion from a doc (who previously sat on an admissions committee) that they draw a circle on the ground, throw the applications off the top of the buildng and take the ones in the circle!!!! I don't think NOSM is doing that though.....but who knows maybe we should stake the place out on monday morning :lol

Personally, I'm confident as Monday approaches. I think I'll make a good medical student and eventually, a great doctor someday. Until then, I've put my best foot forward and if it's going to happen, then so be it. At this point it's no longer in my hands.

SO CHINS UP FOLKS !!!! WE ALL DID GREAT TO BE HERE!!!!

It will be over soon !!!! Cheers to a stress free weekend!!!!

Archived