Premed 101 Forums

Who was in the First Class?

Guest acarpent1

Guest acarpent1

Someone told me that the first NOSM class was made entirely of people who were either francophone, had degree's beyond an undergraduate degree, or were aboriginal. Does anybody know if there's any truth to these rumors? Although it's a small class, I would think that there would be at least a few 'regular' northerners who had average GPA's, a good resume/application and a knockout interview. Maybe this is just hopeful thinking!

Guest Matt66GT

I think that's more rumour than fact.....

WAY MORE RUMOUR as I know it's not the case.

The class is 17% francophone, under 10% aboriginal and there are plenty of 4 yr degrees in there.

*tic* by the way I have this bridge in Brooklyn, real cheap.....:rollin

Guest acarpent1

okayyy.. i seriously don't get the bridge in brooklyn thing.. only because I'm slow in that way.. lol .. but i get your drift, and for the record, I DID say it was a rumor. (I really hope you get that this is written in a laughing tone.. not in a condescending one.. conveying that in writing is so hard!)

btw. I think i found the klassen report.. ill post it on the other thread

Guest NurseNathalie

Quoted from: "Canadian Family Physician" website, but also reflects what is posted on normed's site:

" The NOSM Undergraduate Medical Program received 2098 applications from some exceptional and very competitive applicants, whose minimum requirements were:

• a 4-year undergraduate degree,

• Canadian citizenship or permanent resident (landed immigrant) status, and

• an overall grade point average of 3.00 out of a possible 4.00.

A total of 396 applicants were interviewed by the NOSM Admissions Committee. These candidates were invited to interviews based on their scores in three areas: weighted grade point average, application questionnaire and autobiographical sketch, and context (based on where students have lived or are living in Canada).

Of the 56 students who were offered a seat in NOSM’s charter class of 2005, preliminary demographics (as of June 12, 2005) reflected that: 50% had lived for 10 years or more in rural or remote communities, 41% had lived for 10 years or more in northern communities, 17.8% were Francophone, 17% were bilingual, 12.5% were aboriginal, and 7% were from out of the province."

I can't really find the final stats for those who actually accepted (sorry- too lazy to sift through all the articles!).. although I'm sure its similar to these...

Guest priapismsarebad

Hi...

Our class is quite mixed... kind of split into "2nd career" such as nurses, lawyers, pharmacist and such. And then the younger students with just the bsc/ba or grad school. At least a third had nothing more than a bachelor's degree I'd guess.

Students are from everywhere, but I the vast majority have lived in Northern Ontario or in small towns (Manitoba, Newfoundland).

I would guess next year's class to be younger than this year's (28 yo, spread of 22-43).

GL!

Archived